silver laced wyandotte combs

grullablue

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
So I've been looking at photos, and some combs appear larger/thicker than others.

I have 26 chicks in all, four of them are SLWs. They are only four weeks old. I've raised chicks before, although not SLW, or any kind of wyandotte, and just based on the other breeds I've had (leghorn, RIR and australorps), if these combs were on any of those other breeds, I'd say they're all roos. They're wider, and red. If it were just one, I'd know for sure, but it seems all four of them have these "rooster looking" combs. I know they're young....but just curious to those who've raised different breeds, including these....did the combs appear "roo like" at an early age? I ordered all pullets of course, so I'm assuming it's the breed, because all four of the SLWs look like this, where as none of the other breeds (EE, BO, BA) have this kind of comb forming. I would sure hope, since I ordered all pullets, that all four of my SLWs wouldn't be roos! (I had 5, one was weak on arrival and died) Thanks!

I bought my SLW hens when they were about a year or so old, so I'm not sure about chicks, but my hens all have really red combs- if I didn't know any better, I would have thought they were roos. I do have offspring of my SLWs but they are mixed, so I'm not going to panic seeing the combs getting redder/bigger.

Wyandottes have a Rose comb, which is sort of flat and wide (not spikey like a single-comb/regular comb).

When they're young it looks wide and smooth like you describe, for males and females.
The pinkness usually shows up in males first and is more obviously colored than the females.

Here is one of my chicks combs... this guy grew into a rooster:
@ 5wks

..the only pullet example I have at a young age has an inverted leader, so she isnt a good comparison..

Back
Top Bottom