Silver Laced Wyandotte Sexing-7 weeks old

saraiquimby1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Indiana
Help! What sex. All are about 7 weeks old.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

If I had to hedge a bet....I'd say pullets/hens for all of them. Roosters, by that age -and for this particular breed, tend to have what I call a "collar" around their shoulders/neck. It's usually a band of darker colored feathers around the neck, followed by predominantly white feathers all over their head. Pullets seem to fledge out with silver penciling/striping patterns on their heads with darker bodies --just like you see in those photos. My wife and I have been working with this particular breed for a few years now. She's kept a blog going for a while, covering the birds and misc other things around the farm. If you want the link to it just send me a pm or such. I can never remember if folks on the forums here want links dropped in posts or not.

AH! I'm so confused lol they are either all cockerels or all pullets lol I keep getting mixed answers. They all look almost identical so whatever they are i'm betting they are all the same sex lol. I'm so confused!

Post more photos in a week or two. It's not unusual to get mixed responses. They do look like pullets to me though... And for what it's worth, I hatch and raise a lot of wyandottes. :)

AH! I'm so confused lol they are either all cockerels or all pullets lol I keep getting mixed answers. They all look almost identical so whatever they are i'm betting they are all the same sex lol. I'm so confused!

They should start getting their saddle feathers in soon. Pointed feathers = cockerels, rounded feathers = pullets. Pullets would be my guess without looking at them closer. I've also raised Wyandotte's for several years. 7 week old boys should have more comb development.

Back
Top Bottom