Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Gave our Orpingtons to our neighbors and since we started getting Grandbabies this year we decided to raise some chicks again. This time around we have one Silkie and 5 Easter Eggers. They are now 12 weeks old and eating everything in site.

IMG_5173.jpg
IMG_4754.jpg

A very nice idea! I raised some pigeons not that long ago, and my last darling duck (jerry) helped my neighbours repopulate their pond! Currently haven't got any little chirping babies but hopefully next spring we will pick up again
Sounds like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing!

27Apr2024:
The chicken flock is 8 hens right now; 2 Danish Brown Leghorns, 2 Sapphire Olive Eggers and 4 Olive Eggers. I'm also closely monitoring my backyard Western Screech Owl nestbox with an IP camera right now, as this year's crop of 5 owlets is going to fledge within the next few days. For other activities, On Fridays, I feed and health-check Tundra the Snowy Owl at Washington State University.
You take care of owls? That's so cool! That one on ypir arm is beautiful and those owlets are adorable!! :love :love :love

I would wait another month before adding them in. How it's just her, the pecking order might settle quickly. Just a slight warning, depending on what breed she is, she, herself, might be scared of them at first like my hen Shiloh was when she got introduced to my chicks with nobody but my hen, Beth, to protect from all the little 'intruders.' 😅
That is my plan. I am going to slowly introduce them when I can stay in the coop area with them but I fully agree End of May!
MissChiefvious is definitely interested. I have three easter eggers just like her but new to her are the silverlaced wyondottes and two olive eggers so you could be right! She doesnt run FROM Them though :)

Still alive. We are about to go search for restocking Java chicks - between foxes and dogs and racoons and severe winters, our flock has gone from over 100 chickens down to 6.
I'm sorry you've had some hard years. I hope you can find some Javas! I know they're not super common, and I have only met a few people here who own them, including myself. They're lovely birds though!

Gave our Orpingtons to our neighbors and since we started getting Grandbabies this year we decided to raise some chicks again. This time around we have one Silkie and 5 Easter Eggers. They are now 12 weeks old and eating everything in site.

IMG_5173.jpg
IMG_4754.jpg
Welcome back and congratulations on the grandbabies and getting new chicks! :love How many grandchildren do you have?

Morning, great idea on this post. I'm happy to check in again, still lurking around quite a bit, but I'm not much of a poster. We had lost most of our chickens to coyote attacks last year, but then inherited 13 chickens from my wife's aunt when she couldn't keep them anymore, so now we have 12 hens and two roosters. One of the roosters is very aggressive and doesn't seem to be picking up on the message that it's not a great idea to attack humans, so he may be destined for the soup pot. We've got plans to build a larger permanent coop this spring, now that we have more birds than we had planned to, our little temporary coop just isn't cutting it anymore.

Here's a few pictures. These are from fairly shortly after we brought them home. A few of the hens were missing a lot of feathers from their backs, so we had little saddles/coats for them (you can see that in the second picture). They're all doing much better now, so no more chicken coats required.
View attachment 3813495View attachment 3813496
Here's one from over the winter with our only surviving bird from our previous flock hanging out with the new ones.
View attachment 3813497
Thanks for the update Glad you are doing well! Great photos!

That is my plan. I am going to slowly introduce them when I can stay in the coop area with them but I fully agree End of May!
MissChiefvious is definitely interested. I have three easter eggers just like her but new to her are the silverlaced wyondottes and two olive eggers so you could be right! She doesnt run FROM Them though :)
Awesome. Hopefully they'll fit right in and she'll enjoy the company. Hey, would you want to start a thread so you can keep us updated on how things go? This should be a good section to post one: Pictures & Stories of My Chickens

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello! I am busy at home with my flock. And helping others to raise their own flock. I visit this site for information to provide my chickens with their best life. :)

Hello! I am busy at home with my flock. And helping others to raise their own flock. I visit this site for information to provide my chickens with their best life. :)
Glad to hear BYC is of great help to you, we sure are loaded with the info!

Back
Top Bottom