Silver Laced Wyandotte sexing

Pics

Thank you, Is this the high white shoulder feathers that are associated with Roos?

Hi everyone, looking for best beginner advice! we have 5 chickens now. 3 marans, 1 black stary, and 1 ee roo. They are all 14 weeks and 12 weeks. My friend has two extra 2 month old chicks and 1 is a black austrolorp, and 1 a slw. what tell tale signs do I look for to make sure I don't get another rooster? also what is the best way to add the 2 month olds? will I be shaking things up in the flock I have now? they all get along great and rooster doesn't crow on regular basis, so hoping this doesn't bring out the crow or pecking amongst them! thank you all for your help!
hugs.gif
when slw are chi is I can tell by wings 90% of the time but they can only be between 0-3 days old becuz the wigs grow so fast. There after your jus have to watch them as they grow room tend to be more curious? And will chirp alot. And some mes bossey. And if ts the crests as they mature in any breed, if you don't know sex before 0-3 days or you can sexs them through thier sexual organs by sorta squeezing them and making them poop. Then tour guess is as good as anyone's. At that point it's a wat h and see males/roos seem to mature faster than female's and of course they will crow usually around 4 months old. Standing on thing being bossey not to say the female lead won't either but a better guess in my case it's a roo. Plus they star showing signs of more color quicker than female's. If you don't want roo's then you get a straight run meaning all females and they are also called a pullet and males are cockerals. If you just get run it anyone ones guess what your getting could be all roo's could be all

Feather sexing is not 90% reliable unless you are specifically breeding for that. Vent sexing should not be attempted by people that don't know what they are doing- death or serious injury to the chick could be the outcome. Straight run is a mix of pullets and cockerels.

when slw are chi is I can tell by wings 90% of the time but they can only be between 0-3 days old becuz the wigs grow so fast. There after your jus have to watch them as they grow room tend to be more curious? And will chirp alot. And some mes bossey. And if ts the crests as they mature in any breed, if you don't know sex before 0-3 days or you can sexs them through thier sexual organs by sorta squeezing them and making them poop. Then tour guess is as good as anyone's. At that point it's a wat h and see males/roos seem to mature faster than female's and of course they will crow usually around 4 months old. Standing on thing being bossey not to say the female lead won't either but a better guess in my case it's a roo. Plus they star showing signs of more color quicker than female's. If you don't want roo's then you get a straight run meaning all females and they are also called a pullet and males are cockerals. If you just get run it anyone ones guess what your getting could be all roo's could be all

Thank you. I never did add those chicks to my flock. I since lost that while flock when I added new chicks from a bad hatchery and had a disease run through. I now have 2 new flocks and love them all!

I bought 3 silver laced wyandotte chicks almost 3 weeks ago and I am a little concerned that one is a Roo...two have a flat comb and the third has a bumpy raised comb.

I have attached a photo, if you look at the two perched on the block, I believe the one on the right is the Roo by the extended comb.

It looks like a single comb instead of a rose comb, does not mean it's a roo though, the one floor has some big legs though

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom