Silver laced wyandotte: which roosters to keep?

hman0217

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Catskill, ny
This is for folks who have worked with the silver laced wyandottes

I got a straight run of 6 slw's and 5 of them turned out to be roosters. So I'll be dispatching all but one or two. The three I've narrowed down as keepers are pictured below.

All roosters are around 14-15 weeks old at this time so I'm not sure we have the alpha yet

Franco

I was sure i was gonna cull him based on the single comb alone, as the breed standard is a rose comb. But his chest coloration is so brilliant, he's the biggest, and he's head to head with Kevin on leading the crowing. But that single comb...

Kevin

Has a proper rose comb. Chest coloration is second best and he's right up there with Franco in crowing and second in size

Ernesto

Has a proper rose comb. I'd say his chest coloration is the least impressive but...he's the only one Ive seen mounting the hens so far so that is a big plus for him

Who would you keep as your first and second choice roosters?

PXL_20220624_202855140~2.jpg

PXL_20220624_202913807~2.jpg
PXL_20220624_202816503.MP~2.jpg

I got them from tractor supply. Was not really meant as breeding stock but I've taken a liking to them. Better to start with known breeder chickens i realize.

I was thinking Ernesto was the #1 too

Thanks
unless these are for your own use, you might want to get breeder quality stock to breed, breeding mediocre birds will result in mediocre birds. :]

Back
Top Bottom