Silver Pheasant treats

Koeyohte

Songster
10 Years
Jul 5, 2012
I just made a similar post in the turkey section so I can find out what else to give to my poults, but I also would like to know what more I can give to my silvers!

I have one 2 yr old female and a year old male. I also have 4 babies :)

I add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar "with the mother" (just started doing this kind) to their gallon of water. They are fed general "layer" food right now but will go back to general crumble (unless this is unneccesary). I also give portions of a game bird block filled with various seeds and nuts.

My female silver seems to have some health issues and has been doing much better with the vinegar in her water. I have also been giving chopped up pumpkin seeds as well as peanuts to everyone.

They also get apples and bananas on occasion.

I fed oatmeal to hatchling chickens as well as to my turkeys and the 4 baby silvers. Is this good for the adults too?

What else can I give them for fun/something new in their diet? Anything you know of that helps prevent certain ailments, etc.?

Thanks
~Koey

Is the "general layer" for gamebirds or chickens? Gamebirds require a higher protein feed than chickens.

It is just a chicken feed. Which is why I am adding nuts, etc. to it. They have been getting the chick feed to help with that.

TSC doesn't seem to have anything else, besides the gamebird block. Any ideas?

You might ask if they can get gamebird (or turkey) feed for you. Some stores can get it but just don't stock it because they don't sell much of it. If not, I would probably check around other places. While adding nuts, etc. helps, I just like knowing my birds are getting a complete feed formulated to meet their needs.

I didn't even see this reply! I did go to another feed store and found the Gamebird feed. So they have been on that for a few weeks now :)

TSC sells ultrakibble which is designed for gamebirds.It is a little pricey but if your birds will take to it they will be much healthier.You can't just fed it to them they have to have it introduced slowly to make sure they are eating it.They do need a gamebird feed chicken feed doesn't have the proteins they need.Peanuts are good for them as long as they are unsalted peanuts.Any kind of fruit or veggies are good for them.Also mealworms ,wild bird seed,crickets,not only are the crickets good for them but it keeps them active chasing them around their pen which also keeps them from picking on each other if that is a problem.The mealworms are a great way to medicated your birds if needed.Just shoot the meds into a worm and feed.The crumble feed is not necessary for adult birds,they should be fed pelleted feed.I feed my birds pigeon feed on occasion.It has several different types of seed in there and pheasants love it.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks very much! I hadn't thought of medicating with the mealworms. I have seen wild bird seed for feeders that looked promising so I may pick up some of that. I am still making my way through 2 gamebird blocks so I need to finish those first of course.

Back
Top Bottom