Silver Phoenix or Silver Laced Wyandotte?

marlowesmomma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Hello! Hoping some of you can help me out. I purchased several day old chicks recently and can't figure out what four of them are. They were supposed to be two Silver Laced Wyandotte pullets and two straight run silver phoenix. The photos are of what I thought he said were the silver phoenix. Do these look like silver phoenix? Can you tell the gender? TIA.

These are the ones that are supposed to be the silver laced wyandotte. Is that what they look like to you? They are supposed to be two females. I am thinking the one with the larger comb and the wattles is male? Other opinions?

I would say that they're defiantly not silver laced wyandotte pullets as they would be black and silver. I wouldn't say they are silver Phoenix chicks either as the colouring of the feathers is not black and silver, the feathers are more buff and white and blue and white. This would suggest that the adult bird would be maybe a buff laced wyandotte or maybe something else.

The second pictures aren't of silver laced wyandottes either, they look more like speckled sussex. And I would also say that the one with larger waddles is a male :)

Last edited:
The second pictures aren't of silver laced wyandottes either, they look more like speckled sussex. And I would also say that the one with larger waddles is a male :)
Well that stinks...haha. I was really wanting SLWs. Oh, well. Yes, I was thinking one male and one female in the second group of photos. Any ideas male/female for the first group of photos?

Well that stinks...haha. I was really wanting SLWs. Oh, well. Yes, I was thinking one male and one female in the second group of photos. Any ideas male/female for the first group of photos?
It's hard to tell at that age, especially seeing as they have rose combs. I would guess that they were pullets, but I can't be 100% sure.

It appears to me that the pics are labeled backwards. . . The second set is of the Phoenix chicks and the first set is of the wyndottes. For the Phoenix it looks like 1 of them is male. The dots don't look silver maybe blue laced red????? And it is difficult to tell this woung, but roos get a redder comb sooner that the girls. . . whatever they are- look to be the same gender as their color pattern is similar.

It appears to me that the pics are labeled backwards. . . The second set is of the Phoenix chicks and the first set is of the wyndottes. For the Phoenix it looks like 1 of them is male. The dots don't look silver maybe blue laced red????? And it is difficult to tell this woung, but roos get a redder comb sooner that the girls. . . whatever they are- look to be the same gender as their color pattern is similar.
Yes, I am starting to think they are blue laced red wyandottes. You think the second set of photos are phoenix chicks though?

It appears to me that the pics are labeled backwards. . . The second set is of the Phoenix chicks and the first set is of the wyndottes.   For the Phoenix it looks like 1 of them is male. The dots don't look silver maybe blue laced red?????  And it is difficult to tell this woung, but  roos get a redder comb sooner that the girls. . .  whatever they are- look to be the same gender as their color pattern is similar.

X2 second set are the phoenix. Leg color, combs, feather color is way different from a wyandotte. First set look like blue laced/splash laced red wyandottes.

Back
Top Bottom