Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I've been curious....in a broody nest I see no way of the hen adding more humidity for the hatch~other than from her own body~ but in incubators folks are increasing the humidity in the last 4 days? I can add humidity here but a hen can't go take a quick shower and come back to the nest, so I'm wondering how those chicks hatch in that nest without the increase in humidity?

Or, does the first chick's moisture provide humidity for the rest? And, so on and so forth?
She does manage to raise humidity at the end. A lot of us base dry hatching to someone that measured humidity during a broody hatch. First 18 days were close to 40% and the last three were closer to 65%.

There must be something given off from the eggs that makes the hen put more moisture out. They also will not leave the nest at the end of hatching.

She does manage to raise humidity at the end. A lot of us base dry hatching to someone that measured humidity during a broody hatch. First 18 days were close to 40% and the last three were closer to 65%.

There must be something given off from the eggs that makes the hen put more moisture out. They also will not leave the nest at the end of hatching.

Maybe it's a combination of those things...humidity from the chick in the egg and the fact that the hen no longer gets up to allow moisture to escape from the nesting area? I'll be trying to mimic that as closely as possible so it ought to be interesting what results transpire.

In addition to the abovementioned, the eggs themselves release moisture when they start hatching. My incubator went from 60% humidity up to 85% when just one chick hatched out.

That's good to know! Maybe if I do nothing else but spritz the feathers prior to "lock down" and just not disturb the heat source and leave the "hen" where she is in the last 4 days that the first chick will increase humidity for the rest of them in that manner.

Last edited:
I just recorded the broody mama video and then played in on the nest. Just for funzies! I'm leaving it on the nest and will play it throughout the day whenever I think about it or maybe just before I turn the eggs and right afterwards. I'm sure it's not necessary but I figured it would add some realism.
big_smile.png
And it tickles my funny bone to do it.....

Moisture from eggs hatching causes the humidty level to rise. I usually remove the plugs from my incubater after eggs start hatching.

I noticed that the mama hen will lift up off the nest when the chicks start hatching and will kind of peck at the chick...then will settle down onto the eggs again and will repeat that with each new hatch...maybe that's her way of releasing the moisture to the outside? In that vid I posted here it seemed like she moved that hatching chick out from under her until it was out of the egg and drying off a little.

In this situation and when the eggs are hatching, I might move my "broody" into brood mode, which consists of moving the heating pad into the belly pocket of this broody pillow and also a wire frame inserts into the pocket just for this purpose. The wire can be bent to keep the heat source at the appropriate height off the floor of the nest and will work much like a heat plate brooder but will be softer, more hen-like. This should allow the humidity to escape the nest and give me space to reach in and remove egg shells and pieces after the chick has come out entirely.

I won't be eating the egg shells...

We've gotten about 3 in. today on top of what we already had and this snow is wonderful pack snow...makes snowballs and snowmen perfectly! All the kids should be out in this making some major snow forts.

Temps are holding steady on the nest at 100.0 degrees on the lowest thermostat setting and with broody pillow in place. Has been steady since this morning. I love the thought of what is going on inside of those eggs while that lovely heat is keeping them warm! What a miracle of God's creation those eggs are!

Back
Top Bottom