Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Beekissed

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
Well....I've got it all set up and now it's step out on faith time, so I prayed over the nest and will see what God can do.
big_smile.png
I'm experimenting with incubation in a natural as can get setting to see if I can hatch chicks in this manner. This is my first foray into incubating chicks, so total newbie here. I've read up, watched videos, listened for years about other hatches but this will be my first.

I got to thinking about how we all do it artificially and about how the hen does it and thought maybe I could blend the two and get good results. I'm using soil/leaf litter as my humidity source and will check it when I turn the eggs to see if it needs moistening. I'm using a heating pad for heat and a feather filled pad for an insulator over that pad.

I will be turning the eggs by hand a couple of times a day and also letting air get into the nest at that time. I'll also rotate eggs from out on the edge to in to the middle, randomly, much like a hen would do when she shuffles eggs and I'll do this as I turn. I've not marked the eggs for turning...I intend to just "peck" them a little to roll them, much like a hen does. It will all be very random, much like a hen...she doesn't mark an X or an O to make sure she is turning them all equally and fully.

At day seven or eight I'll candle just one egg from the middle of the nest to see if a chick is developing, but after that I will not handle them or pick them up...just use my finger nail to move them in the nest for "turning". I won't take out any eggs that are not developing because I won't know they are or if they are not. I'll just go on faith on that part of the incubation.

***These eggs are from pullets that are mated to a very young and not very vigorous cockerel and I've seen fertility in some of the eggs we've been eating but not all, so this hatch may be affected by these variances...but I still expect a good outcome. *****

Step 1: Lined a cardboard box with a trash bag and placed moist bedding/soil/leaf litter from my coop in a layer over that. Placed a couple of handfuls of snow on top of that for more moisture.

Step 2: Made a "nest" on top of that with some fresh hay.

Step 3: Eggs collected over the past week from three different breeds of chickens, will choose the most uniform, large, clean eggs from the group~chose 18 eggs for this hatch.

Heat source for "broody": 12x15 in. heating pad with 6 digital settings.

Thermometer: Meat thermometer that has been tested against my old mercury style thermometer for the last 2 days and is always right on the mark, exactly.

Step 4: Arranged eggs in nest with pointy ends toward the middle, WRs/Dels/BAs from left to right. Covered lightly with disinfected rooster feathers for added insulation and humidity control.

Step 5: Inserted meat thermometer into side of box, placing tip in middle of the nest, between two eggs....you can just see the pointy metal tip in the pic above.

Step 6: Covered eggs with fake broody heat, warm side down.

Step 7: Placed box on windowsill in the coolest room in the house...gets slightly warmer when evening sun hits it but have placed a feather padded pillow between box and window to insulate against direct warmth on the box. I want some temp fluctuation because that's how it is out on a real broody nest, so I'm not much into controlling all ambient temps. Have old thermometer standing by to monitor temps in the window sill so I can compare them to the temps in the nest.

Step 8: Covered heat source with a feather quilted(below) and fleece covered pad~The Little Red Hen~who will later also brood the chicks while stretched over a fence wire frame and holding the heating pad in her "belly". The chicks will get under her much like they do the heat plates for chicks...but for a much cheaper price and a more controllable temperature gauge.

So...that's my experiment. I was going to conduct this on the floor of my coop but for this first time I'd like to monitor it more closely to see how widely the temperatures fluctuate in this setting. That's why I chose the coldest room, so that it would still be much like outdoors. I'll run the vaporizer in that room each time it rains or snows outside to simulate the increased moisture in the air and will also add a little moisture to the "ground" under the nest when needed. This morning at daybreak this room was 40 degrees in that windowsill. It was around 5 degrees outside at that time.

Last edited:
Bee, please don't delete any of your posts. People are at this thread by choice. If they are offended by something said, they can quit reading it. Very simple solution. You have been very honest about what you are doing, why you're doing it and who you are. That, in my opinion, should be applauded. Don't get your feathers ruffled about what people say. Just be yourself. After all, an opinion is exactly that, an opinion--including mine!!
hugs.gif
I've learned a great deal from this thread and I appreciate everyone's input. Those comments that don't mean much to me, I skip and head to the next one.

Just want to say that I have openned eggs out of a broody hen's nest after she walked away with the other chicks. Sometimes there is a chick there peeping, and sometimes "full term" babies that are dead in the egg. She didn't help them out. Though when I did salvage a live one she left she would take it after I dried it out and it was ready to go with her. My point is that even instinct doesn't make a hen foolproof, and they also loose them at hatching time sometimes.

One thing that the hen does that people have trouble doing, is that she looks ahead and not back. Or maybe she just accepts what is.

I think anytime we lose an animal we are responsible for we hurt, question ourselves and wonder if it is worth it. The only solution to that might be to not be responsible for any other animal, and I am not willing to go that far.

I am amazed that you did so well with this marathon effort. Impressive.

Aliza Grace arrived at around 2:30 pm today, 8 lb. 3 oz. and 21 in. long, a full head of golden brown hair (like Grandma!
yesss.gif
) and has her daddy's full lips and sweet smile and also his nose, his butt, his beautiful skin color and tone, etc. Her mama is very, very pale with pale blond hair and pale blue eyes, so the baby doesn't resemble her much yet but no telling what will pop up later...she does have her mom's toes.
lol.png

She slept and smiled all during the visit~when we would all laugh, she would smile!~ and appears to be just like her dad was when he was a baby...calm, quiet, sweet and laid back. She latched on real well to the breast and nursed for 45 minutes for her first tucker!!!
th.gif
Yep...that's from our side of the family.....

Oh...and no chicks yet...I think they may be a day or two behind. No pips, no zips...just eggs. Thank God for that because I really needed to leave them today and so I just left and trust them to God, which is always a good idea.

Prayed a first blessing on this baby girl and dedicated her to God's service in her life and thanked God for her health, her life and her sweet, sweet beauty. Granny Bee is in LURVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!!
love.gif

Dearest Bee,
step back and marvel at God's creation "the broody hen".
Bee, you are created in His image.
I pray that God gives you wisdom to apply this experience to help others, to put what appears to be a failure and turn it to "good".
John

Thank you, John.
hugs.gif
Good advice and sound words of wisdom and I am thankful for them.

Absolutely agree with this. You made the best choices you could make at the time, and that's all anybody can do.
For what it's worth, the only two peeping eggs I ever helped to hatch died a few days later of neurological disorders. Did I harm them in the process? Or did they have problems already? I'll never know.
That does help me. I've been wondering just why these chicks didn't make it out...same hardness to the eggs, nice big chicks that did absorb the yolks, were in good positioning in the eggs, fully formed and all....why didn't they follow through? Too weak? If so, why? The one that did get out had a little help from me also and he took a good long time getting as far as he did...one has to ponder about that. Lack of vigor due to what? Nutrition of the parents? Genetics? Too thick of shells? Abnormal temp fluctuations in the brooder at important developmental times? I don't think I'll ever know but the only thing I can do is try once again and see if the next bunch are also too weak to get out.

Just want to say that I have openned eggs out of a broody hen's nest after she walked away with the other chicks. Sometimes there is a chick there peeping, and sometimes "full term" babies that are dead in the egg. She didn't help them out. Though when I did salvage a live one she left she would take it after I dried it out and it was ready to go with her. My point is that even instinct doesn't make a hen foolproof, and they also loose them at hatching time sometimes.

One thing that the hen does that people have trouble doing, is that she looks ahead and not back. Or maybe she just accepts what is.

I think anytime we lose an animal we are responsible for we hurt, question ourselves and wonder if it is worth it. The only solution to that might be to not be responsible for any other animal, and I am not willing to go that far.

I am amazed that you did so well with this marathon effort. Impressive.

Thank you! That helps to know that. I've never had a broody that left an egg like that and all my broodies have had 100% hatch on chicks, with only bad eggs left in the nest once or twice. But no fully formed, viable chicks left behind.

Your words are helpful and I thank you for them....I think I owe it to myself and this method~and all of you kind and generous people~ to give it just one more try while the ambient temps are so agreeable, while I have this nice set of eggs, while the year is still young and while I still have the brooder set up in the coop.

I think I just have to know if this can produce a better hatch. If I do this, I'm going to do some things a little differently.

1. Deeper soil in the box.

2. Flatter nest surface so that eggs are more fully in contact with the surface of the heating pad.

3. More structured egg shuffle so that all eggs get equal time in the middle where the heat is more intense...or

4. Place water balloons around the eggs at the periphery so that they get heat from both sides like the eggs in the middle do...by something that has mass and holds heat like an egg.

5. Mark/number the eggs at the beginning and candle at appropriate times to eliminate quitters/nonfertile eggs.

6. Mark air cells near the end so I can be sure of where they are in case I have to open an egg for a chick...by the time I wanted to do that this time I could no longer clearly see my air cells.

7. Dig out my old stethoscope and be more bold to assist...this is not like other incubation methods and so I have to do things differently also. I'll be careful and judicious, but I don't want to lose another chick over not having faith in my gut feelings or nudging from the Holy Spirit on it.

I want to thank everyone for the encouraging words...they made all the difference in the world today and have lifted me out of my sadness over the end of Nest #3. I'll try again.
smile.png

I figured out what was missing from my experiment.....a weight. A broody weighs something and my insulating pad was too light. I looked all around for something that would add some weight to the pad, thereby pressing the heat source down onto the eggs and finally found the perfect thing!

My dad's big ol' soft cover, flexible and worn out Bible.
love.gif
It immediately caused more heat transfer to the eggs when I laid that big ol' book lightly on the fake chickie mama, so I turned the setting down one and will monitor things further.

Folks will just have to read!
lol.png
It's a dying art, I know, but I'm working hard to preserve it...everyone should try and keep practicing the valuable skill of reading regular text and full sentences as often as possible if the English language is to survive the cell phone.

Bee, I dont think you have to appologize.

Some people who are not fit to keep chickens insist on keeping them though. I know one person who had a hen get frostbite so bad the legs fell off (!!!) And she was sitting on the Internet trying to decide whether or not to treat the legs as they were falling off the body because she could not bring herself to put her precious baby down. In the end the chicken made the choice for her suffering the whole way. It isn't fair to the animals to put them in a situation where you struggle to make a call for their welfare. Similarly, hoarding of animals is illegal for that reason... And an animal hoarder can have just six critters and be a hoarder if they struggle to care for them.

Once we take a life into our hands it is our responsibility to make it a good one and if we cant make an animals suffering less then we are not being tender hearted. We are being a coward. And if we then choose to just keep bringing in more animals via chicken math type things it stops being about the animals at all and becomes about satiating a desire for just another type of Thing.

I will not bring an animal into my yard and home if I am not willing to take full responsibility for the life, and the death of that animal. It is not about me not being tender hearted, like Bee points out sometimes, we are not brutish unfeeling hard hearted people. It is about being brave and doing what is right even if it makes you cry.

Edit; For example, a story most people know. Old Yeller. How many people on here would be too "tender hearted" to pull that trigger at the end? That is not OK in my mind. That movie was not about an evil puppy killing boy. It was about loving enough to do the right thing!

So yeah. I judge people who bring suffering into a life they are responsible for. And I dare anyone who has a life in their care to do what is right, not what makes them feel good. Maybe if people in general were held to those standards (or any standards, really) more often the world would be a better place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom