Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Neal gave me a good idea, via PM, for another experiment I'd like to try. I think that, after I collect enough eggs from my breeding hens to fill my regular incubator, I may let them mount up in the breeding pen nests to see if it stimulates these young layers to kick into a broody mode...both of my chosen breeders come from broody stock.

If I get to that point, I'll start a new thread on the experiment. If I succeed at it, then I'll try to slide the chicks I hatched in the incubator under their respective moms so they can all brood their own youngin's. Now, I know that all sounds too good to be true and like it could never happen....but what if it could?
pop.gif

Neal gave me a good idea, via PM, for another experiment I'd like to try. I think that, after I collect enough eggs from my breeding hens to fill my regular incubator, I may let them mount up in the breeding pen nests to see if it stimulates these young layers to kick into a broody mode...both of my chosen breeders come from broody stock.

If I get to that point, I'll start a new thread on the experiment. If I succeed at it, then I'll try to slide the chicks I hatched in the incubator under their respective moms so they can all brood their own youngin's. Now, I know that all sounds too good to be true and like it could never happen....but what if it could?
pop.gif

That sounds pretty cool. Why wouldn't it work? I have often wondered the same thing.....what WOULD happen if I just let the eggs stay in the nest. That would be one way to get some chicks around here this Spring.
big_smile.png

Lisa :)

It works for some breeds and some chickens, as they are more prone towards broodiness, and they don't even need an accumulation of eggs in the nest to spring broody on ya...just one day they want to sit on that egg...or no egg...they just want to sit.

Stimulating a young bird that's newly POL might be more difficult....but then, it might just be what comes natural if one thinks about natural reproductive behaviors. A bird comes to sexual maturity, she starts laying and breeding...what's the natural next step? That the laying and breeding actually produce offspring, so wouldn't it follow that once she was bred and had laid a sufficient amount of eggs to sit on that she would just naturally sit?

In breeds where that inclination has not been selectively bred out of them, I would say it would just come natural....these WRs are not especially known for excessive broodiness, but the ones I had did seem to want to go broody at least once a year. The one heirloom WR bird I have up there went broody twice last spring/summer. The heirloom Del went broody two or three times.

My breeders come from my ol' broody inclined Mama hen who went broody twice last year, so I'm hoping that's been passed along and they will be stimulated to sit their own eggs. Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Breed, lay, hatch...in that order. Seems like the natural thing to do and maybe I can turn this flock back into a more natural flock of birds. Maybe satisfying that urge to mother a clutch will even make them more productive still, with a better hormone function all around.

Last edited:
It works for some breeds and some chickens, as they are more prone towards broodiness, and they don't even need an accumulation of eggs in the nest to spring broody on ya...just one day they want to sit on that egg...or no egg...they just want to sit.

Stimulating a young bird that's newly POL might be more difficult....but then, it might just be what comes natural if one thinks about natural reproductive behaviors. A bird comes to sexual maturity, she starts laying and breeding...what's the natural next step? That the laying and breeding actually produce offspring, so wouldn't it follow that once she was bred and had laid a sufficient amount of eggs to sit on that she would just naturally sit?

In breeds where that inclination has not been selectively bred out of them, I would say it would just come natural....these WRs are not especially known for excessive broodiness, but the ones I had did seem to want to go broody at least once a year. The one heirloom WR bird I have up there went broody twice last spring/summer. The heirloom Del went broody two or three times.

My breeders come from my ol' broody inclined Mama hen who went broody twice last year, so I'm hoping that's been passed along and they will be stimulated to sit their own eggs. Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? Breed, lay, hatch...in that order. Seems like the natural thing to do and maybe I can turn this flock back into a more natural flock of birds. Maybe satisfying that urge to mother a clutch will even make them more productive still, with a better hormone function all around.

Yes Bee,

That would be AWESOME!....if you can turn your flock back into a more natural flock. The Best of Luck To You!!!

I too think that most all of the broodiness has been bred out of most all of our flocks......and that is a shame!

You are such a good cheering section, you know that?
hugs.gif

I was just up to feed and was eyeballing my extra pen with an eye towards splitting it down the middle to make two separate breeding/brooding pens so I will only have to build one extra breeding/brooding hut out of pallets like I had planned.

I'll be using Bob Blosl's line method of breeding, so my pens will be numbered and each female will "own" her own pen from now on. Any subsequent breeding of her offspring will also take place in her breeding pen, so I can keep good records of that process.

All pens will be able to view one another through the mesh fencing of their runs, so they won't get too frantic by being separated from the flock. The rooster(s) will then be rotated through the respective breeding pens, with the choice, or top, hen getting first dibs.

I'm using two best hens, if possible, for my breeding program and also a spare one for just funzies that won't be for furthering the breed...she's a mixed mutt. I'll collect enough eggs from each of those hens to fill my regular incubator, then I'll run that rooster through their pens again, take him out, and let the rest of the eggs mount up in the nest to see if they can be stimulated to sit a clutch. Should be an interesting experiment!

If I can get it to happen, I'll try to slip the chicks hatched in the incubator under their respective mothers when they hatch their clutch...they may not even notice the age differences...will have to see. I've never had a hen foster that old of chicks before, so it will be a first for me with that as well.

FUN experiments for spring!!!
wee.gif

You are such a good cheering section, you know that?  :hugs   

I was just up to feed and was eyeballing my extra pen with an eye towards splitting it down the middle to make two separate breeding/brooding pens so I will only have to build one extra breeding/brooding hut out of pallets like I had planned. 

I'll be using Bob Blosl's line method of breeding, so my pens will be numbered and each female will "own" her own pen from now on.  Any subsequent breeding of her offspring will also take place in her breeding pen, so I can keep good records of that process. 

All pens will be able to view one another through the mesh fencing of their runs, so they won't get too frantic by being separated from the flock.  The rooster(s) will then be rotated through the respective breeding pens, with the choice, or top, hen getting first dibs. 

I'm using two best hens, if possible, for my breeding program and also a spare one for just funzies that won't be for furthering the breed...she's a mixed mutt.  I'll collect enough eggs from each of those hens to fill my regular incubator, then I'll run that rooster through their pens again, take him out, and let the rest of the eggs mount up in the nest to see if they can be stimulated to sit a clutch.  Should be an interesting experiment!

If I can get it to happen, I'll try to slip the chicks hatched in the incubator under their respective mothers when they hatch their clutch...they may not even notice the age differences...will have to see.  I've never had a hen foster that old of chicks before, so it will be a first for me with that as well.

FUN experiments for spring!!!  :weee

Hey, Bee. Quick question. Why use only the Blosl?. Just a personal favorite? Another thing that goes under the heading of "What was I thinking"? I hatched five Sebrights an a mix of my Blosl roo over a blue layer. Just playing. Now I have to make the heating pad and wire brooder for my growout pen. It's 3' x 12' so plenty of room. How did you make yours. I saw aart's. On time schedule so the handyman can make a door and tin roof the pen. I'd like to get this done too. Already bought the large xpress Sunbeam pad. I need flannel?

Hey, Bee. Quick question. Why use only the Blosl?. Just a personal favorite? Another thing that goes under the heading of "What was I thinking"? I hatched five Sebrights an a mix of my Blosl roo over a blue layer. Just playing. Now I have to make the heating pad and wire brooder for my growout pen. It's 3' x 12' so plenty of room. How did you make yours. I saw aart's. On time schedule so the handyman can make a door and tin roof the pen. I'd like to get this done too. Already bought the large xpress Sunbeam pad. I need flannel?

lol.png
I only HAVE one rooster...the Blosl.

I'll post pics of the frame and such.....just 2x2 woven wire, heating pad suspended under it with bungee cords....

.....then I changed my tactics and placed a trash bag over the whole thing, then covered it with a flannel pillow case before using the bungee cords and that's what I use currently. Works like a dream!

Then you just bend the wire to whatever shape or height you may want to accommodate small to growing chicks as you go along...

:lol: I only HAVE one rooster...the Blosl. I'll post pics of the frame and such.....just 2x2 woven wire, heating pad suspended under it with bungee cords.... .....then I changed my tactics and placed a trash bag over the whole thing, then covered it with a flannel pillow case before using the bungee cords and that's what I use currently. Works like a dream! Then you just bend the wire to whatever shape or height you may want to accommodate small to growing chicks as you go along...
Perfect!!! Great pics and info. I was going to have to spring $150 for the handyman to build me a door and add tin roof. I think I've just lucked out, my buddy on the layers (La) thread is going to babysit for me. Taking her some Blosl and XW eggs for her to hatch. Hope it works. Ha

Last edited:
Here are the pics of my up and coming breeding choices, the pullets from the fall hatch. They are not laying yet but are right on the cusp of POL and will soon be 6 mo. of age, here in the middle of this month.

Beulah Mae # 1 breeder choice....already checking out the nest boxes.

Little Mama, # 2 breeder of choice....a very friendly, calm girl much like her mother.

And Miss Millie, my mutt breeder of choice, just for fun and utility purposes.

We're going to have so much fun this spring!!!! I thank God for these healthy, beautiful girls and for the chance to see His handiwork in action as new chicks spread out on green grass each season.

Back
Top Bottom