Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I was just thinking... As far as flashlights go, if you have a really bright LED flashlight that lights up on the bluer end of the spectrum, couldn't you cover the end with a yellow or orange film, to warm the color up a bit? Using, say, a stretched-out bit of balloon? Or a thin layer of yellow nail polish, if you have some, and don't mind it being permanent... I know my dad used to have red plastic film (maybe mylar) laying around to put over his big maglight for when he wanted to go dig up nightcrawlers for fishing.

I was just thinking... As far as flashlights go, if you have a really bright LED flashlight that lights up on the bluer end of the spectrum, couldn't you cover the end with a yellow or orange film, to warm the color up a bit? Using, say, a stretched-out bit of balloon? Or a thin layer of yellow nail polish, if you have some, and don't mind it being permanent... I know my dad used to have red plastic film (maybe mylar) laying around to put over his big maglight for when he wanted to go dig up nightcrawlers for fishing.

That's a good idea....I'll see if I have anything appropriate for that and see if it works.

WOW, this thread is really building up the pages to read.

I found it interesting about eggs needing different humidity depending on how porous they are. Does make it difficult without using more incubators with different humidity to continue on with growing eggs when their weight isn't the same. Couldn't the porous eggs sucking up more humidity be left to dry out by leaving them out of the incubator some? I've seen my hens incubating several eggs roll 1 or 2 out from under them for awhile then tuck them back under her later. My peahens get off their eggs every other day for 15 or 20 minutes. I've had peafowl for 7 years. My hens hatch rate is 100%. Me and my incubator is more like 70%. The only time the peahens don't hatch an egg is if it wasn't fertile which is always at the beginning of mating season. I no longer let the females incubate her first clutch.....they go in the incubator and usually those first layed have some not fertile.

Take a piece of card board cut out a hole the size of a quarter. Then lay it on top of an led flashlight and presto a low temp egg candeler and to AMY PAPER LADY the color of the light has nothin to do with candeling eggs i found the brighter and ehiter the light the better it works but i hatch only brown and green eggs so i need the brightness to see through the shell

Saran wrap, rubber band, then nail polish!
thumbsup.gif

Btw, these are silkie eggs and I used the "flashlight" app on my phone to candle the eggs.

Technology, you baffle me so!
lol.png

Now they need a candling app. Combine the flashlight app with something that shows you pictures of what the egg is supposed to look like, much like those pregnancy calendars.

Now they need a candling app. Combine the flashlight app with something that shows you pictures of what the egg is supposed to look like, much like those pregnancy calendars.

I have been wanting something like this. Showing how the embryo develops every day inside the egg, and with reminders for milestones! Like. Heart is beating, eyes developing, etc!

Back
Top Bottom