Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Sending prayers Bee's way for some tough little chicks...

Thank you!!! These poor chicks need all the prayers they can get with me as a broody mama....
tongue.png

Well...hit a few snags last night that may have spelled death for these chicks.  The power went out around 2ish and so I put some hot water into a hot water bottle and continued to warm the eggs, with a feather pad between the bottle and the chicks.  At one point they got up to around 104, so I immediately took the bottle off, aired them out, and reapplied with more padding between the two and it settled down to 100 and stayed there.

Then the power came back on around 4ish and I put the pad back on them, removing the bottle......and like an idiot, forgot to [COLOR=000080]turn the pad back on.[/COLOR] Awakened about 15 min. ago to find the eggs at 80* and I don't know how long they've been like that. 

This incubation thread is starting to sound like a "How to Do Everything Wrong While Incubating" book....I may have to utilize that float test just to see if anything lives still in there.  I know that folks have told me that temps have dropped in their incubation before and the chicks survived, but was it preceded by a temp spike?  Not sure. 

Anyhoo...so now the fate of these chicks is uncertain and I only pray that I haven't botched the set.  Again.  Stayed up half the night to get it right only to forget one thing...one very important thing!  :rolleyes:    :gig   :he    :confused:  

I know how you feel. Electricity was off for 18 hours here. :(

Back
Top Bottom