Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I was right with you til you said miter boxes. What have you repurposed a miter box for?

Feed trough.
gig.gif

I wouldn't worry about the eggs being at 104 for just a few minutes. I was recently fighting with my incubator trying to stabilize temps, and it hit 104 more than once (one time for at least a half hour if not longer), and got down to 90 more than once. 10 out of 11 chicks hatched. They are tough little buggers.

I wouldn't worry about the eggs being at 104 for just a few minutes. I was recently fighting with my incubator trying to stabilize temps, and it hit 104 more than once (one time for at least a half hour if not longer), and got down to 90 more than once. 10 out of 11 chicks hatched. They are tough little buggers.

That's good to know! That's an excellent hatch!

I use a glass orange juicer as a chick feeder.... LOL It keeps them from getting in the middle of the bowl and kicking, kicking, kicking!

I'll be using a half of a shampoo bottle for this next set of chicks.
gig.gif

Ohh that's a great idea...wish I had one laying around!

I MacGyver'd a pseudo brooder heater plate if anyone wants to see it.

Was wondering if you have done temp readings on the underside and could you tell us anything about the conductivity of the metal rack...that was a question earlier when I mentioned using metal fencing for a frame.

Bee, bet you had a rougher night than those almost-chicks! So glad to hear that one is still moving; it bodes well for the others. Still rooting for them!

Wondering if the age of the embryo matters with temp spikes and dips. I would think they would be much more fragile in the first trimester week, as damaging even a single cell could affect future growth in a big way. Yours are older so hopefully can handle temp variations a bit better.

When you say they got to 104° was that the water wiggler temp? The broody patch gets to 107° so at least a portion of the egg can handle higher temps for a period of time.

Keep up the good work!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom