Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Was wondering if you have done temp readings on the underside and could you tell us anything about the conductivity of the metal rack...that was a question earlier when I mentioned using metal fencing for a frame.
I posted some temps on the thread.

Wondering if the age of the embryo matters with temp spikes and dips. I would think they would be much more fragile in the first trimester week, as damaging even a single cell could affect future growth in a big way. Yours are older so hopefully can handle temp variations a bit better.

When you say they got to 104° was that the water wiggler temp? The broody patch gets to 107° so at least a portion of the egg can handle higher temps for a period of time.
Good points!

Bee, bet you had a rougher night than those almost-chicks! So glad to hear that one is still moving; it bodes well for the others. Still rooting for them!

Wondering if the age of the embryo matters with temp spikes and dips. I would think they would be much more fragile in the first trimester week, as damaging even a single cell could affect future growth in a big way. Yours are older so hopefully can handle temp variations a bit better.

When you say they got to 104° was that the water wiggler temp? The broody patch gets to 107° so at least a portion of the egg can handle higher temps for a period of time.

Keep up the good work!
smile.png

Love your name, BTW...so am I!
bow.gif
I had thought of that and it certainly sounds reasonable to me. I know some chicks come out with splayed legs and wry neck from improper incubator temps, so that's one worry and I'm not sure when those would be developing.

That was 104 in the wiggler..internal egg temps. But they are moving, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. If they come out and immediately start campaigning for office I'll know that there has been some problems resulting from my incubation efforts.

I would give them a few days before candling. Give them some stability before shining s bright light on them.
Agreed. Lessen the trauma a bit. But I'm sure that your chicks will be fine, they're tough little buggers!
ETA: Oops! Stupid me, posted that before I finished reading all the posts
hide.gif
. Glad to know that at least one chick is fine! I'm sure they'll all make it, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom