Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

get rid of the hay its not good for chicks or chickens get pine shavings all it takes is a little mold on the hay and bang sick chickens and dead chicks

I live in Oregon and have always used a mixture of hay and Pine shavings... It gets cleaned out twice a week and new put down and I have never had one sick chick...

Since she is using a heating pad I doubt she would allow the hay that's both beneath it and over it to get wet

get rid of the hay its not good for chicks or chickens get pine shavings all it takes is a little mold on the hay and bang sick chickens and dead chicks

lol.png
Thanks...but I think I've got this one.
wink.png
The hay will do fine for the purpose....my whole brooders are made from hay. My coop is open air and has mold aplenty, naturally occurring in the deep litter, the hay and in the soils. No worries! Lots of fresh air, sunshine and all that's good keeps a chick healthy.

I live in Oregon and have always used a mixture of hay and Pine shavings... It gets cleaned out twice a week and new put down and I have never had one sick chick...

Since she is using a heating pad I doubt she would allow the hay that's both beneath it and over it to get wet

me either for ten years then i had a chicken get sick and lost the entire flock vet said it was from the hay and found mold spores in the hay you couldn't see the mold in the hay but under a microscope you could see it i lost all 15 that were in the pen im just glad i didn't lose more it stayed localized to one pen and it was hay from a fresh bail too

me either for ten years then i had a chicken get sick and lost the entire flock vet said it was from the hay and found mold spores in the hay you couldn't see the mold in the hay but under a microscope you could see it i lost all 15 that were in the pen im just glad i didn't lose more it stayed localized to one pen and it was hay from a fresh bail too

You might have needed more ventilation there? Ventilation and airflow is key for removing such things to improve the air quality for the flock. This coop, these components and how I brood are pretty well established and successful for chicks and adults alike. I never have illness in my flocks...if by some off chance it were to occur, I would count those birds not worth preserving if they could not withstand environmental molds and pathogens... and count myself lucky that they died.

Chickens get tough or die at my place..and they don't die, so I'm thinking they just get tough. We don't do vets and we don't do coddling of chicks or chickens...they get what they get and they thrive or not.

You might have needed more ventilation there? Ventilation and airflow is key for removing such things to improve the air quality for the flock. This coop, these components and how I brood are pretty well established and successful for chicks and adults alike. I never have illness in my flocks...if by some off chance it were to occur, I would count those birds not worth preserving if they could not withstand environmental molds and pathogens... and count myself lucky that they died.

Chickens get tough or die at my place..and they don't die, so I'm thinking they just get tough. We don't do vets and we don't do coddling of chicks or chickens...they get what they get and they thrive or not.

coops are well ventilated its just we have had so much rain in the last year when the hay was harvested it was already starting to rot ive even had friends that have horses and cows have problems recently with hay

coops are well ventilated its just we have had so much rain in the last year when the hay was harvested it was already starting to rot ive even had friends that have horses and cows have problems recently with hay

also the pine shavings help keep down odor and mites and around here the shavings are cheaper hay is running 6.85 a 50 pound bale

also the pine shavings help keep down odor and mites and around here the shavings are cheaper hay is running 6.85 a 50 pound bale

That hay is just over top of the brooder heater...not in the whole brooder, so no worries. If you'll look closely you'll see my deep litter on the floor of it...been building that deep litter for a year and a half and it's perfect for the job. I don't have any odors in this coop, nor mites, nor flies...just clean, fresh air and healthy litter underfoot. You could say this isn't my first rodeo...been keeping chickens for 38 yrs now, but I appreciate the concern and advice!
thumbsup.gif

You might have needed more ventilation there?  Ventilation and airflow is key for removing such things to improve the air quality for the flock.  This coop, these components and how I brood are pretty well established and successful for chicks and adults alike.  I never have illness in my flocks...if by some off chance it were to occur, I would count those birds not worth preserving if they could not withstand environmental molds and pathogens... and count myself lucky that they died. 

Chickens get tough or die at my place..and they don't die, so I'm thinking they just get tough.  We don't do vets and we don't do coddling of chicks or chickens...they get what they get and they thrive or not. 

X2....... everything you said I not only believe in but practice, our animals serve a purpose, heck not even the cat is a pet lol

Back
Top Bottom