Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

That hay is just over top of the brooder heater...not in the whole brooder, so no worries. If you'll look closely you'll see my deep litter on the floor of it...been building that deep litter for a year and a half and it's perfect for the job. I don't have any odors in this coop, nor mites, nor flies...just clean, fresh air and healthy litter underfoot. You could say this isn't my first rodeo...been keeping chickens for 38 yrs now, but I appreciate the concern and advice! :thumbsup
I have a problem with smelly coops. They are well ventilated yet smell. Wood shavings help? And did I read right it helps with termite? Bee how's your babies any changes. Tomorrow is big day right

I have a problem with smelly coops. They are well ventilated yet smell. Wood shavings help? And did I read right it helps with termite?
Bee how's your babies any changes. Tomorrow is big day right

Cultivated deep litter helps and also feeding fermented feed helps, but ultimately, good ventilation in all levels of the coop is the deciding factor for air quality in the coop. If a coop smells it is either holding too many birds or it's not got near enough ventilation to keep the stale air moving up and out.

There is a wonderful thread on using deep litter here on BYC that tells about the benefits of a true deep litter...not just deep bedding..but composting, working, digesting deep litter in a coop and run setting. It's great!!!

No....the 21st day will be on the 20th! First day of spring!!!!
wee.gif

Then...I think I'll start setting another nest for a hatch right before Easter. The rooster is really in top form and eggs are looking really well fertilized...I'd like to try for a better hatch rate before I put away heating pad.

Got home today to find a whole line of little sweet ants traipsing up the power cord and into the nest box....what in the world would be attracting ants to that soil and nest?? Didn't do anything to the ones in the box but the ones making a line back and forth to that box were annihilated!!!! No mercy! The others will die as they walk through the chemicals to get back to their nest. Grrrrrr! Tryin' to mess with m' babies!!!
somad.gif

Got home today to find a whole line of little sweet ants traipsing up the power cord and into the nest box....what in the world would be attracting ants to that soil and nest??   Didn't do anything to the ones in the box but the ones making a line back and forth to that box were annihilated!!!!  No mercy!  The others will die as they walk through the chemicals to get back to their nest.  Grrrrrr!  Tryin' to mess with m' babies!!!  :mad:

To attract ants, warm and moist is all you need. They will check it out to see if food of some sort "might" be there.

Got home today to find a whole line of little sweet ants traipsing up the power cord and into the nest box....what in the world would be attracting ants to that soil and nest??   Didn't do anything to the ones in the box but the ones making a line back and forth to that box were annihilated!!!!  No mercy!  The others will die as they walk through the chemicals to get back to their nest.  Grrrrrr!  Tryin' to mess with m' babies!!!  :mad:

Oh no! I hope the babies are OK.

Back
Top Bottom