Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Well, it comes time to evaluate if I determine this experiment has been a success. I would say, "No, not really." In one regard it has potential for producing a chick and that can be said of many incubation methods. But simulating a broody hatch? That's another goal altogether.

A broody would have assisted chicks that had internally pipped but had not broken through the shell, of that I have no doubt. I've never found a fully formed, but dead, chick at the end of a broody hatch. But I did in my own.....I'm not a broody and cannot determine exactly where to open a hole so that my chick might breathe unless I were to use a stethoscope. Broodies are wonderfully designed by God to do this job and I am woefully not.

Yesterday these were living and breathing chicks that just needed a hand out but I read an article that said to wait and not rush the hatch and so I waited...but I think a broody would have known better, purely by God-given instinct. Two large and healthy chicks that couldn't get through these hard shells that I have trouble cracking for breakfast in the morning, so no wonder. Experiment over.

You're feeling exactly what I felt when I lost my hatch that my broody abandonned. I can't replace a chicken, I can only try. So many 'what ifs'... Would they have lived, if I interfered and helped? I heard peeping for days... I didn't know any better. I ended up with two chicks, one had a slighty crooked foot, the other healthy as could be.... then there was a third one, so big and developed and it just never made it out. I really felt like I failed that chick. The others, I am not sure they would have made it either way, yolks werent fully absorbed.... but that third one, it bugged me for so, so long. It peeped for two days.. and I did not know what that meant.

It's hard being a broody, when you don't come programmed with the knowledge a chicken does.

It's easy to think: Well, if they don't get hatched, they're just going to end up in a frying pan.

But at what point do they feel? Do they get scared if they can't get out of the egg? When are they suffering? And if you hatch a chicken, eventually they will be eaten.. what's the difference?

Really, a lot of stuff to think about. I don't think I could build a nest and maintain it the way you have... just because I'm a freaking scatterbrain and forget... For me it'll either be a broody or an actual incubator. I have not decided yet. Ofcourse, you can't just make a chicken broody, and I have to purchase eggs, since I have no rooster... an incubator is more predictable, in that aspect.

You have not failed though, Bee. You have one gorgeous chick and it seems to me you are closer than ever. Previous hatches you have not made it this far... you're so, SO close to complete success.

I support Bee's decision not to continue. I believe her humanity won't allow her to continue this path. She lost two other clutches to errors, and now that she has this chick...she has an emotional connection with every last one of those chick's that didn't make it. I know things are done like this in experiments in the name of science. But what conditions do those animals live in? What level of humanity in you has to be lost to participate in those "scientific environments?" I think bee is just a farmer with a scientific mind. Farmers are much closer to the lives they encounter. Someone may be able to blindly continue in the name of science...but I don't think that person is our Bee.

Just my 0.02. FWIW

Last edited:
I don't care for the negativity of the last post so I'm posting now to make this a more positive thread. Good luck Bee.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I don't care for the negativity of the last post so I'm posting now to make this a more positive thread. Good luck Bee.
hugs.gif

Thank you, Linda.
hugs.gif
Thank you to everyone who has made this thread a place of encouragement and who have cheered me on in this endeavor....I think that made it all worthwhile to have cheerleaders on the sidelines, wishing good things and success, rather than buzzards in the trees hoping for failure and gloating over those failed clutches. Many of you have made this a fun and educational thing and those are the kind of threads I enjoy.

Thank you for all the kind and wonderful encouragement, prayers and sweet folks who helped me and cheered me on!

I'll post here if, or when, I continue with another nest full of eggs. If I do and I come down to the wire with cheeping chicks in eggs, you can bet I'm going to interfere with that hatch...in a hot second! I know a good broody would and I will too. From now on, a peeping egg gets a hole poked in it above the air cell line. At least with a snoot full of air they can take their time getting the rest of the way out.

I'll post here if, or when, I continue with another nest full of eggs. If I do and I come down to the wire with cheeping chicks in eggs, you can bet I'm going to interfere with that hatch...in a hot second! I know a good broody would and I will too. From now on, a peeping egg gets a hole poked in it above the air cell line. At least with a snoot full of air they can take their time getting the rest of the way out.

Amen. I'm with you there! It's tough to feel like you did not do everything within your power.

When I did open my eggs, I did so expecting to find living chicks. I found that taking something pointy but not too sharp and scratching away slowly at the egg gently felt more safe than just trying to poke and chip. I don't have a beak! Once you have a little pip made, the rest is easier.

Ofcourse, there are a million and one how-to threads on emergency hatching help.

Bee, I think all of us have come away from this with more knowledge that we can carry into the care of our own flocks. My hatch is not quite 2 weeks away, and I will be more cognizant of a peeping, but not pipped chick, and will know how to intervene. And, the option of a heating pad brooder... priceless for the small flock. I find myself wondering if there's any way to make it work for the 26 chicks I have in the incubator, who will be joined by 17 hatchery birds... no... I don't see how I can go down that road! But, it has inspired the imagination to look at all aspects of flock keeping, and wonder, how can I make it better? If we all gave up with the first failure, I doubt that any of us would have any chickens. And when we look back to the history of artificial incubation, some brave soul had to start experimenting... where would the poultry industry be today if that experimentation hadn't taken place? So, carry on, and I respect your openness regarding your faith, and making prayer and consultation with our God part of your every day life.

Bee, I think all of us have come away from this with more knowledge that we can carry into the care of our own flocks. My hatch is not quite 2 weeks away, and I will be more cognizant of a peeping, but not pipped chick, and will know how to intervene. And, the option of a heating pad brooder... priceless for the small flock. I find myself wondering if there's any way to make it work for the 26 chicks I have in the incubator, who will be joined by 17 hatchery birds... no... I don't see how I can go down that road! But, it has inspired the imagination to look at all aspects of flock keeping, and wonder, how can I make it better? If we all gave up with the first failure, I doubt that any of us would have any chickens. And when we look back to the history of artificial incubation, some brave soul had to start experimenting... where would the poultry industry be today if that experimentation hadn't taken place? So, carry on, and I respect your openness regarding your faith, and making prayer and consultation with our God part of your every day life.

Bee, Hootie is looker. So sorry for the two that died, but I don't think you should beat yourself up too much (a little maybe, because it proves you have a big heart and shows your appreciation for the gift of life.
smile.png
). I too am uncomfortable when people are callous about death.

Remember, whether it's a hatchery, a broody, an incubator, or a heating pad and a cardboard box, the chicks that are suited to survive that method will, and the success of that method will go up with future generations. Perfection is a tough standard to meet, and I'm not sure if it's even possible on earth, but you got closer than many of us do. Not every hen is a broody and not every broody is a great mama. Even that $5000 incubator doesn't cluck and assist hatching!

I learned a lot here and appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Last edited:
Thank you, Linda. :hugs Thank you to everyone who has made this thread a place of encouragement and who have cheered me on in this endeavor....I think that made it all worthwhile to have cheerleaders on the sidelines, wishing good things and success, rather than buzzards in the trees hoping for failure and gloating over those failed clutches. Many of you have made this a fun and educational thing and those are the kind of threads I enjoy. Thank you for all the kind and wonderful encouragement, prayers and sweet folks who helped me and cheered me on! I'll post here if, or when, I continue with another nest full of eggs. If I do and I come down to the wire with cheeping chicks in eggs, you can bet I'm going to interfere with that hatch...in a hot second! I know a good broody would and I will too. From now on, a peeping egg gets a hole poked in it above the air cell line. At least with a snoot full of air they can take their time getting the rest of the way out.
oh my gosh! Success, Bee! This...THIS is the successful result of this experiment! It's great to hear the ways of old "leave them alone, if they are strong enough, they'll make it on their own" idea is out the window! Even a broody hen helps, and as taking on their life in our hands, we have to admit that not everything goes perfectly right 100% of the time in nature either, and it's the compassion and determination of the mother that gives them that little boost. I'm not sure who was being negative in another thread! That's so unfortunate. So happy no one here is doing it!

Back
Top Bottom