Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Bee, I think all of us have come away from this with more knowledge that we can carry into the care of our own flocks. My hatch is not quite 2 weeks away, and I will be more cognizant of a peeping, but not pipped chick, and will know how to intervene. And, the option of a heating pad brooder... priceless for the small flock. I find myself wondering if there's any way to make it work for the 26 chicks I have in the incubator, who will be joined by 17 hatchery birds... no... I don't see how I can go down that road! But, it has inspired the imagination to look at all aspects of flock keeping, and wonder, how can I make it better? If we all gave up with the first failure, I doubt that any of us would have any chickens. And when we look back to the history of artificial incubation, some brave soul had to start experimenting... where would the poultry industry be today if that experimentation hadn't taken place? So, carry on, and I respect your openness regarding your faith, and making prayer and consultation with our God part of your every day life.

Bee, Hootie is looker. So sorry for the two that died, but I don't think you should beat yourself up too much (a little maybe, because it proves you have a big heart and shows your appreciation for the gift of life.
smile.png
). I too am uncomfortable when people are callous about death.

Remember, whether it's a hatchery, a broody, an incubator, or a heating pad and a cardboard box, the chicks that are suited to survive that method will, and the success of that method will go up with future generations. Perfection is a tough standard to meet, and I'm not sure if it's even possible on earth, but you got closer than many of us do. Not every hen is a broody and not every broody is a great mama. Even that $5000 incubator doesn't cluck and assist hatching!

I learned a lot here and appreciate you sharing your experiences.

Words of wisdom, to be sure. So many of you are right....success often stems from many failures. This has been some kind of learning curve for me and I'm glad others came away with something as well.

I do feel it deserves one more try with these excellent eggs and I'm trying to get my mind around that effort and if I can handle the mistakes of dead chicks. I've killed many a chicken in my life and all were with the express intent to kill and for a good reason, but never did I kill one without reason.....I guess these two chicks died for a reason but it's hard to see it when the sadness is this fresh. Hard to have seen their potential and how~for the lack of knowledge~I missed out on it....but then, as you all have pointed out, sometimes things have to die in the process of learning how to keep others alive. It's just a hard pill to swallow and it's getting stuck in my throat a little today.

On a happy note, Hootie LOVES his heating pad "mama" and is as quiet as a mouse under there. Never heard a chick so quiet and content. A little bit ago I clucked at him and he came out from under the pad looking for his mom and peeped his head off, so I had to tuck him back under and cluck at him to stay. He stayed! He's had sips of water and is not interested in food yet while living off his yolk, so the warmth and comfort of the heating pad seems to be all he needs.

Lazy Gardener, how about this...would it be large enough? It heats up to 102* and if one were to build a wire frame for it so the chicks could go under it, I think it would be ideal...and also cheaper than what we are paying for the heating pads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ICGJZK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Caution: Another member reports this pad only heats if there is a weight applied.

Last edited:
Thanks Bee. It looks interesting. But, given the amount of chicks i'll need to brood, I'd probably need the large one... and it's a bit pricey, considering that I already have 2 ceramic socket heat lamps. But, with the auto control, I bet it could be purposed for an incubator! Again... I'm all set there, b/c I have my home made incubator that is holding temps wonderfully right now, and yesterday, at the dump, I picked up a dorm sized refrigerator, and already have all of the electrical components to make an other incubator... now just to convince myself that I really need to have a second incubator!

Thanks Bee.  It looks interesting.  But, given the amount of chicks i'll need to brood, I'd probably need the large one... and it's a bit pricey, considering that I already have 2 ceramic socket heat lamps.  But, with the auto control, I bet it could be purposed for an incubator!  Again... I'm all set there, b/c I have my home made incubator that is holding temps wonderfully right now, and yesterday, at the dump, I picked up a dorm sized refrigerator, and already have all of the electrical components to make an other incubator... now just to convince myself that I really need to have a second incubator! 
of course you do! That's always recommended, if you have one, you should really have two!

Lazy Gardener, how about this...would it be large enough? It heats up to 102* and if one were to build a wire frame for it so the chicks could go under it, I think it would be ideal...and also cheaper than what we are paying for the heating pads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ICGJZK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
I saw, on another thread, that those pads are weight-activated, so probably wouldn't work. Of course, that person could be wrong, but it's worth looking into before spending any money
thumbsup.gif

I saw, on another thread, that those pads are weight-activated, so probably wouldn't work. Of course, that person could be wrong, but it's worth looking into before spending any money
thumbsup.gif

Yep...saw that too and changed the post on that to include the caution. From the site I read they will keep the pad warmer than ambient temps only and then heat up to 102 when the pet lies down on it.

HI Bee, So sorry about the 2 chicks who didn't make it. You still have one cutie pie from this grand hatching method. Take a day to grieve but please don't give up on this wonderful method. You know you did everything in your power to help these chicks--so be kind to yourself. The strong one did make it out; the other 2 weren't quite strong enough for whatever reason. You didn't deliberately kill them, they died because they couldn't make it out unassisted. Words are very powerful friends or enemies--please choose them carefully especially when talking to yourself! Next time, you'll know what needs to be done so be encouraged! We're all rooting for you. You, and the chicks, have helped many people step outside the box to consider a good way to hatch chicks. Thank you!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom