Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

HI Bee, So sorry about the 2 chicks who didn't make it. You still have one cutie pie from this grand hatching method. Take a day to grieve but please don't give up on this wonderful method. You know you did everything in your power to help these chicks--so be kind to yourself. The strong one did make it out; the other 2 weren't quite strong enough for whatever reason. You didn't deliberately kill them, they died because they couldn't make it out unassisted. Words are very powerful friends or enemies--please choose them carefully especially when talking to yourself! Next time, you'll know what needs to be done so be encouraged! We're all rooting for you. You, and the chicks, have helped many people step outside the box to consider a good way to hatch chicks. Thank you!
hugs.gif
x2 Couldn't say it better!

Lazy Gardener, how about this...would it be large enough? It heats up to 102* and if one were to build a wire frame for it so the chicks could go under it, I think it would be ideal...and also cheaper than what we are paying for the heating pads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ICGJZK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Caution: Another member reports this pad only heats if there is a weight applied.

I saw, on another thread, that those pads are weight-activated, so probably wouldn't work. Of course, that person could be wrong, but it's worth looking into before spending any money
thumbsup.gif
How about this one?

http://www.sunbeam.com/pain-relief/...kwid=240264e01ee34fbab22f6778f7a88a24&start=3

For a limited time only.

Last edited:
Dearest Bee,
step back and marvel at God's creation "the broody hen".
Bee, you are created in His image.
I pray that God gives you wisdom to apply this experience to help others, to put what appears to be a failure and turn it to "good".
John

HI Bee, So sorry about the 2 chicks who didn't make it. You still have one cutie pie from this grand hatching method. Take a day to grieve but please don't give up on this wonderful method.  You know you did everything in your power to help these chicks--so be kind to yourself. The strong one did make it out; the other 2 weren't quite strong enough for whatever reason. You didn't deliberately kill them, they died because they couldn't make it out unassisted. Words are very powerful friends or enemies--please choose them carefully especially when talking to yourself! Next time, you'll know what needs to be done so be encouraged!  We're all rooting for you. You, and the chicks, have helped many people step outside the box to consider a good way to hatch chicks.  Thank you! :hugs

Absolutely agree with this. You made the best choices you could make at the time, and that's all anybody can do.
For what it's worth, the only two peeping eggs I ever helped to hatch died a few days later of neurological disorders. Did I harm them in the process? Or did they have problems already? I'll never know.

Just want to say that I have openned eggs out of a broody hen's nest after she walked away with the other chicks. Sometimes there is a chick there peeping, and sometimes "full term" babies that are dead in the egg. She didn't help them out. Though when I did salvage a live one she left she would take it after I dried it out and it was ready to go with her. My point is that even instinct doesn't make a hen foolproof, and they also loose them at hatching time sometimes.

One thing that the hen does that people have trouble doing, is that she looks ahead and not back. Or maybe she just accepts what is.

I think anytime we lose an animal we are responsible for we hurt, question ourselves and wonder if it is worth it. The only solution to that might be to not be responsible for any other animal, and I am not willing to go that far.

I am amazed that you did so well with this marathon effort. Impressive.

Just want to say that I have openned eggs out of a broody hen's nest after she walked away with the other chicks. Sometimes there is a chick there peeping, and sometimes "full term" babies that are dead in the egg. She didn't help them out. Though when I did salvage a live one she left she would take it after I dried it out and it was ready to go with her. My point is that even instinct doesn't make a hen foolproof, and they also loose them at hatching time sometimes.

One thing that the hen does that people have trouble doing, is that she looks ahead and not back. Or maybe she just accepts what is.

I think anytime we lose an animal we are responsible for we hurt, question ourselves and wonder if it is worth it. The only solution to that might be to not be responsible for any other animal, and I am not willing to go that far.

Welcome to BYC NVcattle .....
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego high desert.

Very very wise words.

deb

Dearest Bee,
step back and marvel at God's creation "the broody hen".
Bee, you are created in His image.
I pray that God gives you wisdom to apply this experience to help others, to put what appears to be a failure and turn it to "good".
John

Thank you, John.
hugs.gif
Good advice and sound words of wisdom and I am thankful for them.

Absolutely agree with this. You made the best choices you could make at the time, and that's all anybody can do.
For what it's worth, the only two peeping eggs I ever helped to hatch died a few days later of neurological disorders. Did I harm them in the process? Or did they have problems already? I'll never know.
That does help me. I've been wondering just why these chicks didn't make it out...same hardness to the eggs, nice big chicks that did absorb the yolks, were in good positioning in the eggs, fully formed and all....why didn't they follow through? Too weak? If so, why? The one that did get out had a little help from me also and he took a good long time getting as far as he did...one has to ponder about that. Lack of vigor due to what? Nutrition of the parents? Genetics? Too thick of shells? Abnormal temp fluctuations in the brooder at important developmental times? I don't think I'll ever know but the only thing I can do is try once again and see if the next bunch are also too weak to get out.

Thank you! That helps to know that. I've never had a broody that left an egg like that and all my broodies have had 100% hatch on chicks, with only bad eggs left in the nest once or twice. But no fully formed, viable chicks left behind.

Your words are helpful and I thank you for them....I think I owe it to myself and this method~and all of you kind and generous people~ to give it just one more try while the ambient temps are so agreeable, while I have this nice set of eggs, while the year is still young and while I still have the brooder set up in the coop.

I think I just have to know if this can produce a better hatch. If I do this, I'm going to do some things a little differently.

1. Deeper soil in the box.

2. Flatter nest surface so that eggs are more fully in contact with the surface of the heating pad.

3. More structured egg shuffle so that all eggs get equal time in the middle where the heat is more intense...or

4. Place water balloons around the eggs at the periphery so that they get heat from both sides like the eggs in the middle do...by something that has mass and holds heat like an egg.

5. Mark/number the eggs at the beginning and candle at appropriate times to eliminate quitters/nonfertile eggs.

6. Mark air cells near the end so I can be sure of where they are in case I have to open an egg for a chick...by the time I wanted to do that this time I could no longer clearly see my air cells.

7. Dig out my old stethoscope and be more bold to assist...this is not like other incubation methods and so I have to do things differently also. I'll be careful and judicious, but I don't want to lose another chick over not having faith in my gut feelings or nudging from the Holy Spirit on it.

I want to thank everyone for the encouraging words...they made all the difference in the world today and have lifted me out of my sadness over the end of Nest #3. I'll try again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom