Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Wow! People would just freak OUT if they saw anyone doing that now, wouldn't they?
big_smile.png
The last place I lived had an ancient, leaning old coop that had a stove pipe hole through the roof...and an old Fat Boy pot bellied stove that belonged in the coop~I can only guess it was used for when they were brooding chicks because I can't imagine they used it to heat the adult flock. Can you imagine having a wood burning stove in the coop nowadays?
gig.gif

And we are wary of heat lamps.....
Imagine if one day your stove up and decided your coop and flock were amazing fuel...

I'm wishing I'd read this thread 4 months ago... I was off work for 10 weeks due to a major surgery... I could have used my pot bellied stove to incubate some eggs! With a box of sand, a bunch of feathers and a good top insulator I would have been all set. I was home to stoke the stove every 3 or 4 hours the whole time... usually it has to be banked for 8 or 9 hours through the day, so the heat would have been too unreliable. You can bet if I have to be off work like that again I'm gonna be hatching us some old fashioned furnace chicks! LOL

I'm wishing I'd read this thread 4 months ago... I was off work for 10 weeks due to a major surgery... I could have used my pot bellied stove to incubate some eggs! With a box of sand, a bunch of feathers and a good top insulator I would have been all set. I was home to stoke the stove every 3 or 4 hours the whole time... usually it has to be banked for 8 or 9 hours through the day, so the heat would have been too unreliable. You can bet if I have to be off work like that again I'm gonna be hatching us some old fashioned furnace chicks! LOL

You'll have to use your bare foot to test the spots under the stove to feel for when they are "right" on temps!
big_smile.png
Oh, how I would LOVE to see someone incubate chicks under a wood stove right now. I have the wood stove...but we bank it up at night and it runs pretty hot in the day. I'd be kept hopping to move those eggs back and forth for the right temps.
gig.gif

Oh, that stove brings back memories!! We had an old coal burning stove like that one once...almost exactly that shape and size. Isn't wood heat the best? I feel too hot or too cold at other people's houses that do not heat with wood....it just never feels right.

Right now we are heating with an old 50 gal. barrel stove. My folks have used this kind of stove for the past 38 yrs.

I make homemade bread too except I usually let mine raise in the sunshine that comes into the kitchen window on sunny days. Once you get used to making your own bread, store bought bread taste like cardboard and I can't do it anymore.

An old car battery wont work directly it is DC and the heating pad is AC.... You need a power converter to change it from DC to AC as well as the same wattage. Best to use an UPS.... Uninteruptable power supply, the ones made for computers are pretty inexpensive. OR find a way to defeat the circuit that keeps the power off to the heating pad. Its there for a reason though.

deb "who very much enjoys the thought of NEVER brooding in the house again"
I just remembered, a long time ago I bought a heat blanket that was set up to run off a car battery via the cigarette lighter receptacle. I got it for just in case I ever needed it for a power outage. I've never used it. I don't think it cost much but its something to look into. It wouldn't be difficult or expensive to set up a panel of some sort with a lighter receptacle to plug the blanket into.

Quote: You could wire a cigarette lighter receptical to the car battery then plug an adaptor for runnin something like a skill saw.... one end likes like the one above and the other end of it has a receptical for a three prong plug....

something like this....

images

+
images

+
images

Just remember Heating elements draw alot of current... I have no idea how long a fully charged battery will last. Or how hot that silver adaptor will get

Worht an experiment though.

deb

Last edited:
Oh, that stove brings back memories!! We had an old coal burning stove like that one once...almost exactly that shape and size. Isn't wood heat the best? I feel too hot or too cold at other people's houses that do not heat with wood....it just never feels right.

Right now we are heating with an old 50 gal. barrel stove. My folks have used this kind of stove for the past 38 yrs.

I make homemade bread too except I usually let mine raise in the sunshine that comes into the kitchen window on sunny days. Once you get used to making your own bread, store bought bread taste like cardboard and I can't do it anymore.

Wow! Homemade bread, little or no gas bill, low electric bill, no chicks in the house, hate to "throw money at any problem", real life broody chicken simulating-hatching eggs economically; sounds like my kinda Lady! Keep it up Bee! This is exciting!
Bare foot thermometers..Oh My
goodpost.gif

Back
Top Bottom