Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Incubation is just one aspect of it all and one that I have always left to broodies because I had those...and they worked so well...and there was really no work involved, nor money spent. I loved that!

It's a hard ol' life being broody-less.... Then ya have to mess with "stuff"....
Bee... next time DH and I go to Cabelas I will gather some eggs from my bunch of broodies and bring them your way! You can incubate them in your broody set up and maybe end up with a new generation of broodies!

Of course, right now they are all taking care of chicks instead of laying eggs, so it will be a month or two...
th.gif

Haven't been on here for a while...what a roller coaster of events Beekissed...I cried tears of joy for your new, beautiful granddaughter and continued to read and see that Hootie (who was a cutie patootie) hatched. I offered up prayers of thanksgiving for blessings that we so easily take for granted. Again, I was crying...this time for the loss of the two other chicks and your broken heart. I offered prayers that your heart would be mended and that the Holy Spirit would lead you in the way that you should go. And I'll be dogged, after the prayers and more reading I found out that you were willing to go after the next batch for hatching...I was doing the happy dance with you and for you!! Then, what do you know, I got to the part where little Hootie was killed. I will continue to pray for your perseverance and do know that I have learned so very much from what you are doing. Thank you for sharing all that you have done and continue to do!!

The reason I haven't been keeping up for a while is because i've been dealing with a personal flock tragedy of losing 9 laying pullets and my beautiful French Blue Copper maran rooster to a neighbor's 3 dogs that decided to attack. I was crushed. Funny how God works things out though...two days before the attack an old high school friend called because he knew I raised chickens and brought me 6 chicks that his 16 year old son bought while in the local ag store because he thought they were CUTE...hahaha!! The son brought them home and my friend didn't have anywhere to put them or any way to keep them. So, at 10 pm on March 5th, I inherited 6 chicks. I was fretting because i didn't have a clue where i was gonna put the new babies. I have 5 hens that made it through the attack and they are laying like nothing happened, thank the Lord above because i would hate to have to buy eggs. The 6 chicks are almost a month old and growing like weeds. I don't have too much time to dwell on the loss of our other girls because the chicks keep me busy enough...although i miss my other girls like crazy. I just ask that everyone pray that God work on my neighbor's heart and that he replaces my chickens that were killed. He said that he's not responsible since my flock was free ranging in my yard and the chickens were "taunting his dogs" across the road.

In better news, a friend gave me a beautiful Black Australorp rooster that he had and was going to cull because he already had one for a breeding flock. He (Bain) has taken a liking to our 2 buff orpington hens (Lizzy and Lou) and they are making beautiful "music" together. We plan to put some of their eggs in the incy and hatch some BA/BO mixes starting next Monday for the hatch along.

Best of luck when you set your next clutch and I'll be cheering you on and praying like a fool along the way!!
yippiechickie.gif

Haven't been on here for a while...what a roller coaster of events Beekissed...I cried tears of joy for your new, beautiful granddaughter and continued to read and see that Hootie (who was a cutie patootie) hatched. I offered up prayers of thanksgiving for blessings that we so easily take for granted. Again, I was crying...this time for the loss of the two other chicks and your broken heart. I offered prayers that your heart would be mended and that the Holy Spirit would lead you in the way that you should go. And I'll be dogged, after the prayers and more reading I found out that you were willing to go after the next batch for hatching...I was doing the happy dance with you and for you!! Then, what do you know, I got to the part where little Hootie was killed. I will continue to pray for your perseverance and do know that I have learned so very much from what you are doing. Thank you for sharing all that you have done and continue to do!!

The reason I haven't been keeping up for a while is because i've been dealing with a personal flock tragedy of losing 9 laying pullets and my beautiful French Blue Copper maran rooster to a neighbor's 3 dogs that decided to attack. I was crushed. Funny how God works things out though...two days before the attack an old high school friend called because he knew I raised chickens and brought me 6 chicks that his 16 year old son bought while in the local ag store because he thought they were CUTE...hahaha!! The son brought them home and my friend didn't have anywhere to put them or any way to keep them. So, at 10 pm on March 5th, I inherited 6 chicks. I was fretting because i didn't have a clue where i was gonna put the new babies. I have 5 hens that made it through the attack and they are laying like nothing happened, thank the Lord above because i would hate to have to buy eggs. The 6 chicks are almost a month old and growing like weeds. I don't have too much time to dwell on the loss of our other girls because the chicks keep me busy enough...although i miss my other girls like crazy. I just ask that everyone pray that God work on my neighbor's heart and that he replaces my chickens that were killed. He said that he's not responsible since my flock was free ranging in my yard and the chickens were "taunting his dogs" across the road.

In better news, a friend gave me a beautiful Black Australorp rooster that he had and was going to cull because he already had one for a breeding flock. He (Bain) has taken a liking to our 2 buff orpington hens (Lizzy and Lou) and they are making beautiful "music" together. We plan to put some of their eggs in the incy and hatch some BA/BO mixes starting next Monday for the hatch along.

Best of luck when you set your next clutch and I'll be cheering you on and praying like a fool along the way!!
yippiechickie.gif
maran.. i hate to tell your neighbor, but they are responsible for your lost chickens. I am truly sorry you lost them. I dont even want to imagine that heartbreak. So far all the dogs in my neighborhood seem good with my chickens...so far. And Bee!! yea on the grandbaby and the hatch! I never posted here before, but I have been following along!

I am a crazy chick too. I make my own bread sometimes, and proof it by the woodstove.. can meat and veggies... heck my hubby and I make our own wine and beer. I just want to teach my kids now.. that the best things in life dont come from a box (unless its the chicks we picked up from TSC) and that even in small scale, on my measly 1/2 acre, we can do just fine...

Here in Southeast Texas, along the Gulf of Mexico coast; we have to be prepared for hurricanes. In my case of preparedness, I have a portable generator that could be used in a power outage. We had to use it for 17-days, during the last hurricane. You just need to be at home and know you have an outage. As for as power blips, we get our fair share and I can see where an electronic thermostat for the heating pad could be a problem, especially if you are not home or unaware of a power blip, I guess you just have to stay on top of things, very closely.

lau.gif
Yes...I ARE frugal, though some have accused me of being cheap. It's a way of life now. After living off grid and homesteading while growing up, I developed a distinct aversion to being tied down to the grid, technology, and wasting money on needless things. In a weird sort of way I find it a luxury to be able to heat with wood, eat homemade bread and canned, home grown chicken and things grown here on the land, though I'm sure many would view it as going backwards in time instead of forward.

From what I read on forums and in magazines, it's the wave of the future to go back into the past, so I'm just surfing one wave ahead of everyone.....
gig.gif
Even darned my winter socks this year...was tickled to show them off to folks, though no one seemed to share my level of enthusiasm for it all.
lol.png

yippiechickie.gif

You have been on a roller coaster! I just recently lost 13 out of 14 chickens to dogs. My heart goes out to you. So thankful you have little ones now. Please
post a picture of your Australorp rooster.

Lisa :)

Bee... next time DH and I go to Cabelas I will gather some eggs from my bunch of broodies and bring them your way! You can incubate them in your broody set up and maybe end up with a new generation of broodies!

Of course, right now they are all taking care of chicks instead of laying eggs, so it will be a month or two...
th.gif

That's kind of a funny thought...brooding some broodies so I'll not have to brood any longer. Lovely thought! What breed are your broodies?
pop.gif

yippiechickie.gif

Me on a rollercoaster??? Hon, you are riding with both hands up and screamin'! I'm so very sorry about your flock.
hugs.gif
And I'm also very joyful that God immediately provided you with more chickens and it somehow gives one the sense it was all supposed to happen that way, doesn't it? I would love to see pics of your new rooster as well. What kind of chicks did you get?

Thank you for the cheering and the praying, though I can't say there is anything foolish about praying to the Creator.
big_smile.png

Ok I am late to follow this thread and I read through some of it but this is like 140 pages ! I want to know if this worked ! It seems very interesting !!

Yes...it worked....sorta. One chick made it completely out of the shell and was thriving and two more made it to hatch date and was peeping in the eggs but never pipped out of the shell. Now am going for a fourth and final nest with, hopefully, more fertile and viable eggs to see if I can have a better, more successful hatch.

Bee, they are Silver Pencil Rocks... here are 3 of the 4 girls with their mixed up group ...2 hens hatched one week and are completely co-brooding their hatches, the 3rd hatched a week later and has daytime visitation and co-parenting duties but as of now still keeps her younger ones all under herself at night... the 4th one is now waiting for her clutch of eggs, which my hubby and I are picking up Friday morning for her.
I also have 4 other broodies, 2 easter egger mixes, one black giant and one very silkie looking girl (maybe a mix though).

Since Bee has stated that this 4th attempt will be her last, if you have any chicks that are actual offspring of any of those broody hens that are being raised by the broody herself, if you could part with a few of those chicks, the chances that the little girls will grow up and be broodies are supposed to be pretty high (especially if the rooster was offspring and raised by a broody too) and Bee could just put them in with her currently growing chicks.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Bee, they are Silver Pencil Rocks... here are 3 of the 4 girls with their mixed up group ...2 hens hatched one week and are completely co-brooding their hatches, the 3rd hatched a week later and has daytime visitation and co-parenting duties but as of now still keeps her younger ones all under herself at night... the 4th one is now waiting for her clutch of eggs, which my hubby and I are picking up Friday morning for her.
I also have 4 other broodies, 2 easter egger mixes, one black giant and one very silkie looking girl (maybe a mix though).

Awwwwww, how sweet!! Now, those girls are a breed I wouldn't mind having! They are beautiful and useful and rocks, which I have a special place in my heart for. Lucky you!!!

Back
Top Bottom