Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I agree! I wouldn't have thought of that and would just have tried to use my body heat.
I wouldn't have thunk of it either, Bee. A rather ingenius idea, I thought. I might have gotten out my blow dryer, though.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Put new feathers around the perimeter of the clutch but none directly on top of the eggs..I'm hoping that border of feathers will hold heat into the eggs on the outside edge for a more consistent and even heat out there, but still allow good airflow under the edge of the pad. The heating pad covers this new clutch by a clearance of an inch on all sides. Placed a thin pad filled with feathers on top of the heating pad until the nest warms up and then will take that off.

All air cells were marked, all eggs clearly numbered and a goodly mix of three breeds represented, though none from my two oldest birds.

I think I will use Mom's hydrometer(sp?) near the end to make sure I have the humidity levels high enough for a good, successful hatch.

Did I forget anything?
Feathers around the outside is a great idea ;-)

Would be curious to know what the humidity is before eggs are set. (hyGrometer)
Lower humidity levels during the first 18 days ('dry hatching' < 30%) have had wide success, really effects air cell formation.

Good Luck!!

I wouldn't have thunk of it either, Bee. A rather ingenius idea, I thought. I might have gotten out my blow dryer, though.
hmm.png

I think the electric was off?

Feathers around the outside is a great idea ;-)

Would be curious to know what the humidity is before eggs are set. (hyGrometer)
Lower humidity levels during the first 18 days ('dry hatching' < 30%) have had wide success, really effects air cell formation.

Good Luck!!

I'll try to test it tomorrow, though I'm not sure how accurate that thing is.

Quote: This is how you can test it....you don't have to buy anything! ;-)

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%...note any differences to adjust your readings and you're set.

Back
Top Bottom