Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I candle usually -day 7 ,looking for blood rings,- day 14 to remove clears, - day 18, to mark largest air cell space ,so can position uppermost ,to ensure chic can position properly & internally pip into largest air cell space.

as u know air cell slopes around day 16 or so,don't have a pic
,but if u draw a pic of an egg ,lge end to right
,then draw a line at 45 degree across lge end of egg running top edge to lower right to represent aircell, that's how i position egg when i stop turning, either auto or hand turned

have never worried about looking for porous shells , as shell becomes more porous throughout incubation & don't want to throw out eggs that may still hatch,
as i feed to ensure good nutrition, (FF & free range) i don't worry too much about shells or fertility.

as i eat a couple of eggs a day ,i have very rarely seen unfertilised eggs when i crack them , but i may have to keep a new replacement roo out of this hatch

consistant temp & weighting to ensure good air cell size is all i worry about leave the rest to the chooks lol

I am getting a pair of Creasted Cream Legbars tomorrow! 《Insert dancing around the room smiley》

Bee I think you need to get a stronger LED flashlight. When embryos are developing I can see the 'spider' as early as 5 days.

My little chick that nearly died when the electricity went out is doing fine.

I have found myself in a dilemma where an artificial incubator may have to be thrown together... Got my Broody sitting on 5 eggs, day 10 and candled last night, all look good.... Got 10 more in the incubator on day 7, again, all look good... Why do you ask did I do this.. Momma was sitting 9 eggs when a jealous hen tried to take her nest resulting in 4 eggs being broken, I tossed some in the incubator figuring I would allow her to adopt them after they hatch....Momma is now secluded and happy

Here is the dilemma I find myself in... In touch with a women who is selling her adult Bourbon Red Tom and four hens, although I cannot afford them nor am I set up right now for adult turkeys they are laying eggs, knowing how desperately I want Turkeys she is selling me the eggs at $10. a dozen....I simply cannot and will not pass this up.. I am going to give the momma hen the eggs from the incubator but have little doubt she will sit long enough to hatch them out so I am going to need something for the last couple days...I'm hoping she will sit if she feels them moving around but from what I have read I'm not hopeful... I have a small Styrofoam ice chest and light and such...we shall see what I can come up with , any suggestions?
I just felt with a similar situation…I just took the chicks as they hatched (after they were dry and fluffy) then I gave them all back when they were all hatched out

Please do marandazmail!!!! I see where you are using a LG incubator. Have you started yet? What day are you on? temp and humidity? number of eggs, candling details?
Cowpoke,

when i get everything started, i'll post details. i plan to start on Monday with at least 2 dozen eggs (french black copper marans, cream legbars and a cross of Black Australorp and buff orpington). My temp will be 100.5 at the bottom of my incubator and i will be using a dry hatch method. i'm not going to monitor and document the humidity on the inside of the nest, but i will document the humidity in the air outside and surmise that it will be lower due to heating the LG. I will candle on the 7th, 14th and 18th days and mark the air cell at those times. it's not super scientific like Beekissed, but i'm hoping it will work!!

I just felt with a similar situation…I just took the chicks as they hatched (after they were dry and fluffy) then I gave them all back when they were all hatched out

Gave them to her last night...They are only 3 days behind, hopefully Ms Broody Butt can do some temperature regulations and get the new ones to catch up or the ones she had to slow down...Either way I will start keeping my ears open starting on day 18..

I am getting a pair of Creasted Cream Legbars tomorrow! 《Insert dancing around the room smiley》

Bee I think you need to get a stronger LED flashlight. When embryos are developing I can see the 'spider' as early as 5 days.

My little chick that nearly died when the electricity went out is doing fine.

I don't think they make them much brighter than the ones I'm using...and I'm using two of them each time~one from below and one from behind or from the other end. I just have brown eggs and I think that's the problem,especially for the BA's eggs...they are darn near impossible to visualize. I've seen the pics of candling of white eggs and it's pretty obvious why they can see into those so well...that's easy! All mine are brown.

This is a pic of my lights...they are 9 LED Super Brights..and they will darn near blind a person!

I don't think they make them much brighter than the ones I'm using...and I'm using two of them each time~one from below and one from behind or from the other end. I just have brown eggs and I think that's the problem,especially for the BA's eggs...they are darn near impossible to visualize. I've seen the pics of candling of white eggs and it's pretty obvious why they can see into those so well...that's easy! All mine are brown. This is a pic of my lights...they are 9 LED Super Brights..and they will darn near blind a person!
Thats the exact same one i have. I agree super bright gives me great insight into the development

Back
Top Bottom