Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Awesome looking birds you have there Pete! It looks like your hard work is paying off. Congratulations, well done....but I know you will keep perfecting your flock. Enjoy!

And I don't even have enough chooks to sell eggs...
hit.gif

Didn't mean to brag ,
hide.gif
but am proud of my birds. but get surprised by prices i get.
think I have just been lucky with my chook sales,but ppl seem to like my birds

i think there r a lot of rubbish birds out there, so like most things when ppl find nice birds, they r willing to pay for them

i have never advertised them ,ppl ring asking ,mainly from word of mouth from someone else or have seen them at auction sales where i sell at

i don't set prices ,the prices i quoted , r what ppl offered or were achieved at a helmsman or silent auction (where prices offered r written on a sale card over 1 hr the auction takes place - highest price at the end of the hr gets the lot on sale )
I do set a reserve usually $30 per bird, so as to cover costs but have always exceeded that

just trying to show that if u love r birds ,look after them, bred the best u can find ,don't try to be greedy x selling junk for big bucks - ppl will want them more than u think they would

cheers Pete
yeah and mine are some of the rubbish ones but it's ok for now. Gotta start some where.
big_smile.png
Yours sure are pretty that's for sure. I plan on getting rid of all of my BA's though. Just not wild about this breed since they don't want to corporate with me. The RIR's I have do what I want but the black ones have their own minds. lol They're shy and I'm just not wild about them. Might just be that they are hatchery is why, I have no clue.
smile.png

Gonna try White Rocks, Miss Rosemarie? They would be a nice breed to go with....calm, regal, hardy and great layers. Not to mention all the meat from processing spent hens and extra roos.

Gonna try White Rocks, Miss Rosemarie? They would be a nice breed to go with....calm, regal, hardy and great layers. Not to mention all the meat from processing spent hens and extra roos.
For now going to stick with the RIR's I think since they're laying so well for me. I sure do like the buffs and those silver laced wynottes sp? and one persons doms here in Ms. Hers are heritage and man they are some really pretty birds. Just don't have my pen sectioned off for several different breeds though.

I have about 3 to 4 poultry shows within a hr & half's drive from home,but have never shown my birds, ppl buy them before i get to show train them lol
don't even belong to a poultry club.

just started in chooks for a hobby about 4-5 yrs ago,because i needed something to do ,being a disabled pensioner i cant do sports & my climate isn't conducive to too much gardening.

decided i wanted purebreds, as an old fellow once told me ,when i bred horses,-"it costs as much to feed a good one as a bad one "

settled on light Sussex & Australorps,hunted around local poultry club sales to find stock within my budget (think i paid $50 for my first trio)
must have a good "eye" because after I bred my first hatch of light sussex I took the cockerels & a few pullets to the local poultry auction .
received a bit of a shock ,my cockerels sold ($ 50 each) faster than the pullets , a trio went for $170.
th.gif

now i sell all i bred, about 50 a yr-
I get for LS, $15 for day chics,pullets $100,cockerels $65 .still chasing breeding better birds.

australorps sell faster than LS
record at the local poultry auction is $200 for a single POL australorp
yesss.gif

cheers Pete
big_smile.png

That is awesome! It's a good feeling when you're doing something right.
big_smile.png

Didn't mean to brag ,
hide.gif
but am proud of my birds. but get surprised by prices i get.
think I have just been lucky with my chook sales,but ppl seem to like my birds

i think there r a lot of rubbish birds out there, so like most things when ppl find nice birds, they r willing to pay for them

i have never advertised them ,ppl ring asking ,mainly from word of mouth from someone else or have seen them at auction sales where i sell at

i don't set prices ,the prices i quoted , r what ppl offered or were achieved at a helmsman or silent auction (where prices offered r written on a sale card over 1 hr the auction takes place - highest price at the end of the hr gets the lot on sale )
I do set a reserve usually $30 per bird, so as to cover costs but have always exceeded that

just trying to show that if u love r birds ,look after them, bred the best u can find ,don't try to be greedy x selling junk for big bucks - ppl will want them more than u think they would

cheers Pete

I have rubbish birds
lol.png
Considering I CAN'T breed, it doesn't matter much. Eventually I hope to slowly replace my wonky looking bunch with nice birds.. buy hatching eggs and hatch some nice ones, eat whatever isn't worth selling. I would love to breed beautiful birds like you... perhaps in time. We hope to get some land outside of city limits, one day. Still young. Gotta keep some dreams for retirement
wink.png

It's no wonder folks can't tell a Jersey Giant from an Australorp in the US... considering what an Australorp is SUPPOSED to look like.

Pete, thanks so much for sharing pics and stories of your birds. They are truly awesome!!!
ep.gif
You should be VERY PROUD of what you've developed---bragging rights are very much deserved by you. Now that I see what can be accomplished with some planning, I'll definitely work on a breeding plan for when we do get birds. Obviously buying good stock, even if expensive, is very important!!!

This has been an awesome thread, Bee. I've learned so much from you and everyone else who contributes. Thanks everyone!!!
clap.gif

Every time I see some chicken eye-candy... it gets me thinking in yet an other direction. So many choices, so little time and so little space! Hatch day due Friday, and I want to build an other brooder. But may have to settle for a box or 2 to expand on the tractor I have until I can do some building. Can't wait to see what these babies look like. Their Daddy went to the crock pot last week. I'm told that he was quite tasty!

Back
Top Bottom