Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Quote: I had always suspected that would be the case, but didn't know for sure and wasn't willing to find out! Thank you for confirming... though I am sorry you apparently had found out first hand!

That is what I warned my DH about when he asked once about looking in them.... I told him I wanted nothing to do with it, and he erred on the side of caution and didn't open it either.
I remove any 'sloshy' eggs as soon as I find them (but I don't candle often)... I really, really, really don't want them breaking in the nest!

Last edited:
Will we are pretty much done hatching over here. DH's mooing helped 2/4 bantams that hatched. 2 hatched while we were sleeping and we missed them by mere moments. So the final head count is 4 bantams 3 of which have feathered legs and the other hatched from a green egg. We also have 2 Ancona ducks. I'm waiting on pictures to upload. And Bee I'm using my heating pad as a brooder for now.

Anybody ever watch a rabbit give birth?? LOL..

But how cool, I watched baby rabbits being born!!!

Yup... I had a pet rabbit. Mean thing...
lol.png
Then one day we noticed a dwarf rabbit in the bushes outside the apartment building. My brother spent two hours catching it, but finally succeeded. We named it "dinner" (a joke) and he uhm.. made friends.. with our rabbit real quickly (and our shepherd dog.. ew). She was twice as big as he was and it was literally a blink of an eye. We had no idea she had been knocked up.

A month or so later she's hopping around in her hutch, pooping little pink things.
lol.png
She was as surprised as we were. Put them in her nest area and she got the hang of being a mom after a while. We lost one baby, but I don't think it was her doing. It was all white and much smaller than the rest (she was white with orange/grey brindle tipped ears and eyes, dad was black/grey with a white chest). All the others were 'tuxedo' and ended up dad's size, except for one ORANGE/grey brindle rabbit... yes..orange... he grew to be twice as big as the mom
hu.gif

I hope to get into meat rabbits one day.. I love rabbit meat and I hate grocery store meat, it smells weird.

Yup... I had a pet rabbit. Mean thing...
lol.png
Then one day we noticed a dwarf rabbit in the bushes outside the apartment building. My brother spent two hours catching it, but finally succeeded. We named it "dinner" (a joke) and he uhm.. made friends.. with our rabbit real quickly (and our shepherd dog.. ew). She was twice as big as he was and it was literally a blink of an eye. We had no idea she had been knocked up.

A month or so later she's hopping around in her hutch, pooping little pink things.
lol.png
She was as surprised as we were. Put them in her nest area and she got the hang of being a mom after a while. We lost one baby, but I don't think it was her doing. It was all white and much smaller than the rest (she was white with orange/grey brindle tipped ears and eyes, dad was black/grey with a white chest). All the others were 'tuxedo' and ended up dad's size, except for one ORANGE/grey brindle rabbit... yes..orange... he grew to be twice as big as the mom
hu.gif

I hope to get into meat rabbits one day.. I love rabbit meat and I hate grocery store meat, it smells weird.
we have raised them for alittle over a year and that was a first, probably never happen again, they typically so my experience has been have them either late at night or really early in the morning. It such an easy way to raise meat, we love it too and My Brother does whatever he can to trade us for a few from the freezer.. LOL, last month we got a truckload of wood
big_smile.png

well half way thru day 22 ,
jumpy.gif
19 out - ranging in weight from 41g to 49 grams

3 more to go - one has external pip, so we will wait & see ..... & wait .....
pop.gif

pics later

cheers
Pete

I had a rabbit when I was a kid. My cat used to love to cuddle with him... he'd groom the rabbit's face, and ears, and neck... then he'd get this wild look in his eyes, wrap his paws around the rabbit... and then I'd have to remove the rabbit so the cat wouldn't move in for the kill. When I was older, I had a male rabbit who was very fond of my female cat. He'd grunt at her and chase her all over the basement, until she'd had about enough of him, and she'd swat him across the face.

Will we are pretty much done hatching over here. DH's mooing helped 2/4 bantams that hatched. 2 hatched while we were sleeping and we missed them by mere moments. So the final head count is 4 bantams 3 of which have feathered legs and the other hatched from a green egg. We also have 2 Ancona ducks. I'm waiting on pictures to upload. And Bee I'm using my heating pad as a brooder for now.

Congratulations foxvalleyfarm!!! It will be good to see the pics. I'm sorry you didn't get a 100% hatch, but it sounds like it was a good hatch. That heating pad should be keeping them warm and cozy.

Congratulations foxvalleyfarm!!! It will be good to see the pics. I'm sorry you didn't get a 100% hatch, but it sounds like it was a good hatch. That heating pad should be keeping them warm and cozy.

Here are a few pictures. I will take more and upload then tomorrow.

IMG_20140403_142335_zpseo0ctjc8.jpg

The brooder box. The heating pad is wrapped up inside an old pair of my house pants. I need to add a wire frame tomorrow.
Cgosms_2014-04-0301-01-25_zpsgoglejjj.jpg

All 6 about 30 minutes after the 4 toed one hatched and right after the first duck did. yes we did remove the shell. It kept breaking veins.
IMG_20140403_142940_zpscue25zbn.jpg

The first 3 in the brooder.
IMG_20140403_143116_zpsmg6bb4ea.jpg

And again.

Back
Top Bottom