Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

from what i have read ,the increase in co2 after internal pip is what stimulates the chick to externally pip,manually doing an external pip doesn't increase hatchability rates.
it is done only in cases of emergency by experienced operators, 24 hrs after internal pip or by inexperienced ppl trying to rush things

best advice i have ever read & the hardest to do - "sit on yr hands after lockdown", let nature do the hard work

Pete

Last edited:
If things go right, folks, I may be starting my very first breed project this week. I'd shout it to the rafters if I could but it would just be annoying if I did it in text...
gig.gif
For the first time I'll be able to concentrate on a particular breed and have a heirloom blood line trio to do it with....and will be using this method to get the first chicks on the ground, if it all pans out.

I'm so happy I could just bust wide open about all that! Just have to see if it all works out first so can't say for sure it will happen until it actually does happen. It's one of those things when "If the Lord wills it" it will all happen.

Then, maybe, I'll be able to use this method on really good eggs and for a really good purpose....to develop a breed and my flock on a whole new level.
celebrate.gif

from what i have read ,the increase in co2 after internal pip is what stimulates the chick to externally pip,manually doing an external pip doesn't increase hatchability rates.
it is done only in cases of emergency by experienced operators, 24 hrs after internal pip or by inexperienced ppl trying to rush things

best advice i have ever read & the hardest to do - "sit on yr hands after lockdown", let nature do the hard work

Pete

Now, that's good information, Pete...I never read that anywhere about the CO2. I'll be sure and keep my hands off those eggs...
big_smile.png

If things go right, folks, I may be starting my very first breed project this week. I'd shout it to the rafters if I could but it would just be annoying if I did it in text...
gig.gif
For the first time I'll be able to concentrate on a particular breed and have a heirloom blood line trio to do it with....and will be using this method to get the first chicks on the ground, if it all pans out.

I'm so happy I could just bust wide open about all that! Just have to see if it all works out first so can't say for sure it will happen until it actually does happen. It's one of those things when "If the Lord wills it" it will all happen.

Then, maybe, I'll be able to use this method on really good eggs and for a really good purpose....to develop a breed and my flock on a whole new level.
celebrate.gif
I have hatched two buff brahma large fowl this spring for my first attempt, I am shouting also !!!
celebrate.gif

I have hatched two buff brahma large fowl this spring for my first attempt, I am shouting also !!!
celebrate.gif

I bet those are going to be some pretty birds, ocap! So that's your chosen breed. What do you like about the Brahmas that make them your fave bird? I know everyone seems to have a certain place in their heart for particular breeds and sometimes it's for reasons you can explain and sometimes the reasons defy explanation but is just something that warms your heart when you see that breed standing in front of you.

I feel that way about the Plymouth White Rock...they just bring a smile to my heart and a light in my eyes when I see them.

great news re the heirloom blood line trio,
celebrate.gif
now u can have all the worries of keeping it pure &maintaining /improving the good traits with each new generation
lau.gif
.like the rest of us that try to keep purebred lines going
.r u going to start a new thread for that,would love to follow & input if required

cheers Pete

I bet those are going to be some pretty birds, ocap! So that's your chosen breed. What do you like about the Brahmas that make them your fave bird? I know everyone seems to have a certain place in their heart for particular breeds and sometimes it's for reasons you can explain and sometimes the reasons defy explanation but is just something that warms your heart when you see that breed standing in front of you.

I feel that way about the Plymouth White Rock...they just bring a smile to my heart and a light in my eyes when I see them.
interesting question.............
Might be that they were slower to develop and the cockerels reminded me of "Baby Huey", now at ten months they are becoming aggressive enough.

great news re the heirloom blood line trio,
celebrate.gif
now u can have all the worries of keeping it pure &maintaining /improving the good traits with each new generation
lau.gif
.like the rest of us that try to keep purebred lines going
.r u going to start a new thread for that,would love to follow & input if required

cheers Pete

Hello Pete,
How about instead of following, you start one: Keeping it pure and maintaining/improving good traits with each new generation. You seem to be the most knowledgeable and I would sure follow, question and input. I have the resurrecting Dominiques in my flock, that I am trying to keep it pure and improving my flock. Also I Love the look of your Light Sussex chickens and I appreciate what you have done to improving your flock!

Back
Top Bottom