Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

They are so messed up I could cry. I swear Ive never lost or had a messed up chick before.
hugs.gif

I had a big cup of my Angel Mama tea last night, no crazy contractions as a result, so I think I am safe to sip some more. Husband dearest told me not to worry so much about his work and to just go ahead and try and do whatever I can to get this young lady out.

Will leave all the details out, but yes, we're trying
lol.png

I'm so backwards. I get pregnant just THINKING about getting pregnant, but getting them out is a whole 'nother story. Most women have to try to get pregnant and then have trouble keeping them in long enough
roll.png
(I actually thought about being a surrogate mom once upon a time... but I am getting too old and I have my own family to worry about. Helping some kids in my old age will be good.. so many kids, so little time. Atleast I feel we 'saved' my step-son.. cramming proper social behavior, the value of money and hard work and common sense into his little head isn't easy when his entire family has seen the inside of a jail more than once, can't keep a job and can't keep a home/car. But, that is another story.)

I am really excited about trying your hatching methods, and even though I have followed the thread from the beginning, it would be great to have a condensed "this is what works" version
big_smile.png

You're getting to be quite the authority on chicken keeping. People often point in your direction for examples on how to raise cornish X properly, to learn about fermented feed and now you can add natural incubating to that. Might have to consider writing a book
wink.png

I adore your handsome WR stud. He's quite the rooster! I'm not even a chicken and he makes me swoon.

Good luck to you!!! Babies are so sweet I hope we get pics... Thoughts and prayer with you for and baby both...
hugs.gif

I get to wait another four weeks from today to see if our newest Grandbaby is going to make an on time appearance... I would like to say I know how you feel with the waiting game but its been 22 years since I been there, My daughter was 6 days late and I was in and out of false labor for 5 days.. When things did finally get going they thought I was a loon cause I couldn't stop smiling..lol

Two eggs left, one pipped externally, one pipped internally...both look to be BA eggs and pretty small compared to the rest. If they make it out I'll have 8 healthy chicks to show for this experiment and I think that will conclude if it can produce chicks and if they are healthy and normal in activity~no splayed legs, no wry neck, no malabsorption of yolk, etc.

Not bad, huh?
big_smile.png
I'll gather all the chicks from this hatch when they are on their feet in the brooder and will get a group pic, if I can...they are running around like bugs up there! The ducks are eating the feed, BTW, and all TSC stock are still with us. The meat chick I accidentally stepped on the other day died last night, which I sort of expected and was going to put it down today anyway.
Not bad at all.....good in fact! So glad your experiment was successful, Congratulations Ma'am!
The most unique homemade incubator I've see yet.....just about the only one I've seen that doesn't use an thermostat or a light bulb.

I will! I'm going to write it up on a page on the learning section, with pics and video, and am going to coin a name for it....just so it won't get all twisted out of recognition by the masses before I can even get it down in history.
Hmmmmm......Pseudo Broody? Bee's Best Budget Homemade Incubator?

I think I'll call it the NN22 or the Nest22 method. Simple and describes the method pretty well....Natural Nest/22 day incubation(on average). Or I could go all vainglorious and use a double entendre and call it the Green Method.....Green is my last name and the method is sort of low energy, more natural and using more organic materials at hand, while recycling a cardboard box, using materials that can be used again for other things, etc.

We'll have to take a vote from all the good people who participated on this thread for a few of these options. When I write up the experiment conclusion I'll post the final options and let you all vote on them and explain why you wanted to call it that. How's that sound?
big_smile.png

I think I'll call it the NN22 or the Nest22 method. Simple and describes the method pretty well....Natural Nest/22 day incubation(on average). Or I could go all vainglorious and use a double entendre and call it the Green Method.....Green is my last name and the method is sort of low energy, more natural and using more organic materials at hand, while recycling a cardboard box, using materials that can be used again for other things, etc.

We'll have to take a vote from all the good people who participated on this thread for a few of these options. When I write up the experiment conclusion I'll post the final options and let you all vote on them and explain why you wanted to call it that. How's that sound?
big_smile.png
I think that sounds perfect! :)

All Hootie clones that are up in the brooder are doing fine and holding their own against the older fledglings in the brooder. They have no supplemental heat right now, even though it's 68* here, as the brooder is in full sun with a plastic side to it that heats up the brooder naturally. If I supply additional heat they will all be huddled under the water bucket seeking a cool place. One end of the brooder is shaded from the sun as well but they seem to like to stay on the end with the food and water right now.

The ducks are eating the feed now but rushing to drink water afterwards like they want to wash out their mouths real quick...it's funny.

Still have the youngest chicks in the nest, warming under the heating pad and the other two eggs have both pipped externally.

Will get some film of the brooder today and of the Hootie Clan amongst the general public of the brooder....they are tiny compared to the others! What a mutt mixture of genetics in these experimental chicks...it's enough to make ya laugh out loud and think it's a good thing this experiment was conducted in WV, where all that genetic mish mash seems normal.
big_smile.png
It's our mutt genetics that make us mountain folk so strong and resilient.

I have found that chicks do not need all that heat that seems to be the rule of thumb. Yes, they need a spot to warm up when they get chilled, but they honestly elect to stay out and about in the "cold" for most of the day.

Back
Top Bottom