Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

One of the ducklings got crushed by the meat chick last night....found it back in the corner underneath the meaty, neck twisted and dead. The TSC has no more, so I've got a single duck, which I hate and I should have bought more than just two. Now I have a decision to make....kill the meat chick and get this over with before he crushes anymore birds.

I really wish I had been smarter about that whole situation because those ducks were just...lovely.

I'm so sorry to hear about the dead duck. I think I would move the meaty to somewhere else...or cull him; before he kills on of your hard earned Hooties!

The CL around here never has any poultry at all. We are going to thin our layer flock of all non-essential birds(sell the Fat Cochin, the two BAs and one cranky Del, and the 7 meat chicks will be processed in June along with my old WR mama hen) and order 6 sexed KC ducklings from a hatchery. The new RIR chicks and the Hootie Hatch will be sexed as soon as it is apparent and the extras processed as soon as they are big enough. I will be trying to hatch out some WRs in May, so I will need all the space I can get in the coop.

We've decided to start moving towards having only WR chickens and the KC ducks. I'm sold on the ducks....I've wanted KCs for a long, long time and now that I've seen them and done more research, I think I'd like to have a small flock of layers.

The last of the hatch arrived just now...he's weak from such a long struggle to get out of the shell, but he's a nice sized chick and everything looks healthy. Experiment is DONE!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Praise the Lord!

Amen for the caboose!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif
Glad he made it!

Oh thank goodness!!!!!! I had to stop myself from wanting you to help the little one....So glad they are all out!! Eagerly awaiting photo's!! I'm getting anxious... Lockdown starts Wednesday for the incubator with the Geese, Turkey and Chickens...Candled last night and all that have made it to this point look good...
fl.gif

Great news! Good Luck with the hatch!!!
jumpy.gif

Great news! Good Luck with the hatch!!!
jumpy.gif

I'm starting to get nervous.... When I first started it I wasn't thinking so much of the Geese, it was the Turkeys I wanted, but those big ol white eggs and those little goslings moving around in there have stolen my heart.. I so hope and pray this works out...
hide.gif

DH wants to keep two of them if they hatch, we had intended to give them all to my brother for his 5 acre farm...

This last chick is very weak...sort of like Hootie when he first came out. I have a feeling this one won't thrive simply due to the long hatch and his weakened state. He's just laying there giving weak cheeps and is not moving around as much as the other chicks did at that stage. He may recover and be just fine but I suspect he still won't do well.

I'm starting to get nervous.... When I first started it I wasn't thinking so much of the Geese, it was the Turkeys I wanted, but those big ol white eggs and those little goslings moving around in there have stolen my heart.. I so hope and pray this works out...
hide.gif

DH wants to keep two of them if they hatch, we had intended to give them all to my brother for his 5 acre farm...

Praying for ya'll to have a good hatch,

Back
Top Bottom