Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

drowning is not painless. It's rather quick (unconscious within minutes) but drowning itself is very painful, hence the bodies reaction being rendered unconcious.

th.gif
(Bee gathers her chicks close and whispers, "It's alright...shhhhhhh...it's alright....don't listen to her!")

I've seen death by drowning and it ain't peaceful...not even a little bit. I think I drowned those chicks in Nest 3 when I added all that humidity...wish I hadn't done that but it probably doesn't take much to drown a chick, huh?
Ha! You're both wrong. Been there, done that. Its pretty peaceful, aside from the struggle to survive.

Ok so I got my chicks, theyre growing, and I know one day they are going to be dinner but you got me at mercy killing babies (crying). I know some day I might have to face it but with all the birds we've had we just let nature do it. One parakeet we owned was born with deformed legs. My niece wanted to kill it but my tender hearted daughter begged her not too. We put food and water at his level and he lived a year before he died. Moved around the cage just as well as others he just could not stand. So honestly how do you decide when its proper to mercy kill? And I would have to come up with a way to do it that wouldnt break my daughter's heart. She wants to be a vet and here is a prime setting for old ways and lack of knowledge to break her heart a million times. Bee hope the others do well and Hootie is great name. Tomtommom best wishes I had a friend on fb chatting and skyping her whole delivery lol. Technology sure has changed. We skyped a wedding here. My bator test is going. Found a 60w bulb replaced it and temps dropped but air conditioning caused a drop. Odd when I put my arm in to turn eggs doesnt feel that hot but I got only 1 thermometer unless I get out a rectal one I have, but where do I put it? LOL
my other chickens faired our first hot day better than our dog. Hope we can get better accommodation for all soon. Good day everyone.

Good luck, Tomtommom! Hope all goes well!

I'm officially DONE with messing with eggs, including my own. I swore this little thing had already pipped internally and externally, and was then dead because I couldn't see any movement at all, heard absolutely nothing. Since it had been 48 hours, I figured I'd open it up. The little thing didn't even break through the air sac! D: It was moving and very much alive. But now it's dead. It seems like mom broke the rest of the shell and the membrane. =/ I really suck at letting nature just take its course. I should have left everything alone. Ugh, I'm such a terrible mother D:
hugs.gif
So sorry you had to see that. I guess it is something we all have to learn and or go through. UGH

Lacy Blue: You mentioned boiling water for the egg. That got me to thinking about the frog in the pan of water. The frog doesn't feel anything as the heat goes up and up, so I wonder if the same would hold true for the chicken in the egg.

Lisa :)

Well its 2pm here and temps in my washingbator have stayed steady at 99 for past 4 hours. Heat today got to 91 currently but cooler feeling over yesterday. Being near the ocean we get more humidity. So I wonder if this might work. I remember as a kid taking an egg and putting it im my sock drawer to keep it warm. Momma first said its boiled babe and second it didnt have a daddy. Well all these years later I fully understand what she meant lol. Egg went back to fridge and I dreamed one day it would work. At least if I have to assist one it wont be the size of my pinky tip and need feeding by syringe every two hours. Im trying to be somewhere between knowledge and clueless think I found my place.

Ok so I got my chicks, theyre growing, and I know one day they are going to be dinner but you got me at mercy killing babies (crying). I know some day I might have to face it but with all the birds we've had we just let nature do it. One parakeet we owned was born with deformed legs. My niece wanted to kill it but my tender hearted daughter begged her not too. We put food and water at his level and he lived a year before he died. Moved around the cage just as well as others he just could not stand. So honestly how do you decide when its proper to mercy kill? And I would have to come up with a way to do it that wouldnt break my daughter's heart. She wants to be a vet and here is a prime setting for old ways and lack of knowledge to break her heart a million times. Bee hope the others do well and Hootie is great name. Tomtommom best wishes I had a friend on fb chatting and skyping her whole delivery lol. Technology sure has changed. We skyped a wedding here. My bator test is going. Found a 60w bulb replaced it and temps dropped but air conditioning caused a drop. Odd when I put my arm in to turn eggs doesnt feel that hot but I got only 1 thermometer unless I get out a rectal one I have, but where do I put it? LOL
my other chickens faired our first hot day better than our dog. Hope we can get better accommodation for all soon. Good day everyone.
I'm sorry. I was tired last night and I guess I got a burr under my saddle. I don't do those things... any of them. I went from being angry to laughing so hard I couldn't go to bed or I'd wake my husband.

There are lots of reasons a chick may not make it out of its egg. One of those reasons might be something I have done or not done in the process. I won't help them, unless there are special circumstances, but I'll give them every chance if I candle and see that the chick is still alive. There are lots more breeders more calloused than I and if a hatch is due on February 1st and they aren't all hatched by that night, he throws the unhatched ones in the trash can and walks away. I'm not cut from that piece of cloth.

hugs.gif
So sorry you had to see that. I guess it is something we all have to learn and or go through. UGH

Lacy Blue: You mentioned boiling water for the egg. That got me to thinking about the frog in the pan of water. The frog doesn't feel anything as the heat goes up and up, so I wonder if the same would hold true for the chicken in the egg.

Lisa :)

Maybe.

Well its 2pm here and temps in my washingbator have stayed steady at 99 for past 4 hours. Heat today got to 91 currently but cooler feeling over yesterday. Being near the ocean we get more humidity. So I wonder if this might work. I remember as a kid taking an egg and putting it im my sock drawer to keep it warm. Momma first said its boiled babe and second it didnt have a daddy. Well all these years later I fully understand what she meant lol. Egg went back to fridge and I dreamed one day it would work. At least if I have to assist one it wont be the size of my pinky tip and need feeding by syringe every two hours. Im trying to be somewhere between knowledge and clueless think I found my place.
Sounds promising. Keep that washerbator out of the direct path of you a/c and it could work. Good luck to you and keep us posted if you try it.

Bahahaha You are too bad!!!!!
lau.gif
That last one kept me up for a while. Almost wet myself a couple of times!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom