Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

It was RoseMarie! Got them all in last night--no one got lost. Here they are on Alfalfa I planted for them--young crop, they did not hurt it!

SOOOO cute! lol I NEED to get mines grazing frames planted again. Was out there yesterday trying to figure out what I could plant in them that would stand up to the heat now.
So glad you got em all in!!!

Well my eggs started hatching out yesterday evening and last night and still hatching out now. Got a bator full of chicks. now I better hit the bed so I can see what's happening tomorrow.

ALSO I had one stick to the egg turner and would NOT turn free and I wound up breaking it trying to get it out. Must have been a hair line crack in it or something. ??? when it broke it went on one egg and that's all I thought it got on. This was the 10 day I was candling them. I had meantioned this on another page and couldn't remember if it happened at night or morning but now I remember when.....So the next morning I was going to take the turner out wash and clean it as well as the pan so it wouldn't get to stinking...... I start taking out the eggs when there is yet another one stuck and I had no clue but it came out and some of the shell was left stuck onto the turner. About and inch wide and 1/2" the other day and the membrane was still in tact. So I put some scotch tape over the hole and I didn't get quite high enough on the top side so I used 2 pieces of tape on it. Well it started pipping this morning and it hatched out tonight. I was sooooo excited to because it was a little RIR.
celebrate.gif
I was so worried it wouldn't hatch but I had read of someone doing that and theirs hatched so I said well what have I got to lose? It worked!

Last edited:
Well my eggs started hatching out yesterday evening and last night and still hatching out now. Got a bator full of chicks. now I better hit the bed so I can see what's happening tomorrow.

ALSO I had one stick to the egg turner and would NOT turn free and I wound up breaking it trying to get it out. Must have been a hair line crack in it or something. ??? when it broke it went on one egg and that's all I thought it got on. This was the 10 day I was candling them. I had meantioned this on another page and couldn't remember if it happened at night or morning but now I remember when.....So the next morning I was going to take the turner out wash and clean it as well as the pan so it wouldn't get to stinking...... I start taking out the eggs when there is yet another one stuck and I had no clue but it came out and some of the shell was left stuck onto the turner. About and inch wide and 1/2" the other day and the membrane was still in tact. So I put some scotch tape over the hole and I didn't get quite high enough on the top side so I used 2 pieces of tape on it. Well it started pipping this morning and it hatched out tonight. I was sooooo excited to because it was a little RIR.
celebrate.gif
I was so worried it wouldn't hatch but I had read of someone doing that and theirs hatched so I said well what have I got to lose? It worked!

That baby wanted to live. Good for you.
woot.gif

That baby wanted to live. Good for you.
woot.gif
thanx! I was excited. I'm not having as good of a hatch rate as I'd like on my bators though and need to figure out why. Last hatch at the end I had 8 left over I think it was and now this time I have 11 left over. :( but still waiting to see IF any more will hatch. Got one that started pipping but the ones in the bator rolled it around so much I don't know if it's dead or what.
sad.png

Last edited:
Check the thermometer to make sure is still accurate. That was the big problem I was having with mine.

This spring I have been having a terrible hatch percentage. When I realized that my rooster had one 4+ inch spur, I had a suspicion that was the problem.

My son and I removed the spur last weekend. My rooster is very happy now :) I should know by next weekend if the fertility level is better or not.

Check the thermometer to make sure is still accurate. That was the big problem I was having with mine.

This spring I have been having a terrible hatch percentage. When I realized that my rooster had one 4+ inch spur, I had a suspicion that was the problem.

My son and I removed the spur last weekend. My rooster is very happy now
smile.png
I should know by next weekend if the fertility level is better or not.
this incubator is pre-set. I had to toss 5 out when I candled on day 10 and now all these didn't hatch. One pipped but it was rolled around so much I don't know what happened but it doesn't look like it's alive. Leaving it just to see though and make sure. Just not understanding why the low hatch rate. They had veins the ones I left or I could see groweth or whatever you call it.Just puzzled. Got one more bator full in one I used to use so I want to see what kind of hatch I get out of it. I think it's like a week behind this one.

Just set 7 eggs under a broody, 6 heritage line WRs and one hatchery mutt BA(purely an accident placement but don't feel like getting my hand taken off at the wrist for that one egg....she's a nasty one). I will also collect and place 6 WR eggs in the new incubator my friend sent to me, a Brinsea. I'm hoping to double down on insuring that at least a few chicks are hatched out of this mating this spring....we'll see who is more efficient~the broody or the Brinsea. If this hatching weren't so crucial, I'd use my simulated broody nest method against the real broody and see who had a better finishing hatch...the next time I will. Broody against fake broody, an epic battle!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Just set 7 eggs under a broody, 6 heritage line WRs and one hatchery mutt BA(purely an accident placement but don't feel like getting my hand taken off at the wrist for that one egg....she's a nasty one). I will also collect and place 6 WR eggs in the new incubator my friend sent to me, a Brinsea. I'm hoping to double down on insuring that at least a few chicks are hatched out of this mating this spring....we'll see who is more efficient~the broody or the Brinsea. If this hatching weren't so crucial, I'd use my simulated broody nest method against the real broody and see who had a better finishing hatch...the next time I will. Broody against fake broody, an epic battle!
big_smile.png

She looks very determined! So glad you are getting a few more to hatch.... I currently have 8 Heritage WR eggs under 2 broodies also, and 8 pencil rocks, a 3rd broody quit (not her fault, she waited too long for eggs, I think) so her eggs went back into an incubator with the hopes that my last 'due to go broody' hen gets it together and decides to do her spring set soon!

She looks very determined! So glad you are getting a few more to hatch.... I currently have 8 Heritage WR eggs under 2 broodies also, and 8 pencil rocks, a 3rd broody quit (not her fault, she waited too long for eggs, I think) so her eggs went back into an incubator with the hopes that my last 'due to go broody' hen gets it together and decides to do her spring set soon!

That's why I'm incubating also...not sure of this broody and if she will go the distance and seriously need chicks from this pair or my breeding project is up in smoke.

So you are doing WRs too!!! Yay! I love this breed and it's good to know others are loving them as well. As we can't participate in Fred's PR thread now unless we use correct terminology, we might have to just chat together about our fave breed.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom