Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Oldmomma, I just found out that we're going to be moving too! We're moving to a place with more land. I'm excited! I get to add chickens to my flock! :)

I'm also going to be buying guineafowl and a LGD. We're going to be building a coop and a predator-proof large run. They'll be in there until we teach them where "new home" is, then they'll be free ranging all day, and will come back in at night.

Great news!!! Still going tobe in DFW area? I'm out of Shreveport. Love going to Dallas

Knowing that storms were coming I did the best I could putting tarp on the West and part of South side of the coop. So at least some of the place was dry. I have a tin roof but nothing but wire sides. It is sure a learning experience. I tied it in a bow knot so I can take it down easy. But it's something I can do by myself. They were fine and on their roosts but the ground is wet because I'm on a slope and water ran all night right through it. I'm planning getting some dirt and building a swale to divert it from the coop itself. My birds are ok but not really understanding all this water stuff. At least no tornadoes last night, but more weather today and tomorrow. Fun times.
gig.gif

Knowing that storms were coming I did the best I could putting tarp on the West and part of South side of the coop. So at least some of the place was dry. I have a tin roof but nothing but wire sides. It is sure a learning experience. I tied it in a bow knot so I can take it down easy. But it's something I can do by myself. They were fine and on their roosts but the ground is wet because I'm on a slope and water ran all night right through it. I'm planning getting some dirt and building a swale to divert it from the coop itself. My birds are ok but not really understanding all this water stuff. At least no tornadoes last night, but more weather today and tomorrow. Fun times.
gig.gif
Really hoping the worst of the storms miss you! I always loved storms, but now every time I know of one coming with any amount of winds I am worried about the animals...

We spent the day butchering some meaties, cleaning the coop and adding 2 windows into the coop wall on the side of the covered run so they actually do open into the run area. They will be covered with expanded metal mesh like the other windows and door window are to protect from predators, but we just doubled the air flow through the coop on warm days and nights. For winter we will just fill the recess with insulation and cover with plastice.

The windows were freebies, they were from an old house being torn down and they were panels built into a 3 piece window, we took the window apart and kept the 2 side windows which were hinged, knowing we would be wanting to add them to a coop in the future. We have a few more of them and will be adding them either to the other side of the coop or another coop build.

gig.gif
so glad you're safe!!! and no tornadoes! I HATE those things!!!

My nests I made for the chickens and they WILL NOT USE THEM! They have been built for about a week now and I have seen them checking them out and still nothing. I built them a perch and everything.

The wooden one is the one they prefer but I have 15 hens and they are all loaded a lot of the time and the others needs a spot to lay their eggs. I had been finding an egg on the ground in front of the nests because she couldn't wait and dropped it. I guess they haven't gotten desperate enough but they're hurting my feelings by not using MY nest I made for them.
hmm.png
roll.png
tongue.gif

My nests I made for the chickens and they WILL NOT USE THEM! They have been built for about a week now and I have seen them checking them out and still nothing. I built them a perch and everything.

The wooden one is the one they prefer but I have 15 hens and they are all loaded a lot of the time and the others needs a spot to lay their eggs. I had been finding an egg on the ground in front of the nests because she couldn't wait and dropped it. I guess they haven't gotten desperate enough but they're hurting my feelings by not using MY nest I made for them.
hmm.png
roll.png
tongue.gif

Chickens like dark and private. Try tossing an old sheet/towel/tarp over the backs.

hmm.png
roll.png
tongue.gif

I love your nest boxes, Rosemarie....I'D use them if I were a hen!
big_smile.png
She's right, though...they do like to feel like they are hidden when they lay. I'd love to have a handyman like your hubby living close....he does some wonderful work on your coop and run. Nice, sturdy construction that looks like it would stand for 100 yrs.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom