Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

Just candled a handful of the nestbox eggs and saw moving chicks in there, so not dead yet. Removed some clears but didn't check the whole nest of eggs, so more eggs could be removed tonight when I candle the rest of them. Unfortunately, the WR eggs are the ones I'm most interested in hatching but they don't seem to be all that fertile...not for want of trying, that rooster has picked the WR hen as he number one girl.

Just candled a handful of the nestbox eggs and saw moving chicks in there, so not dead yet. Removed some clears but didn't check the whole nest of eggs, so more eggs could be removed tonight when I candle the rest of them. Unfortunately, the WR eggs are the ones I'm most interested in hatching but they don't seem to be all that fertile...not for want of trying, that rooster has picked the WR hen as he number one girl.

Ok got my new incubator up and running. Getting some SBEL's tomorrow (Blue eggs) That's my practice. Then I've been reading up on the Basque Hens and they are very heat resistant as well as cold resistant. And shipped eggs hatch better. So I'm going to do them next. So excited. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about incubating. You suggested that a dry hatch was better. Any idea what to keep the humidity on? Some say 40-45. for 18 days and let it go higher later. Still learning.
pop.gif

Ok got my new incubator up and running. Getting some SBEL's tomorrow (Blue eggs) That's my practice. Then I've been reading up on the Basque Hens and they are very heat resistant as well as cold resistant. And shipped eggs hatch better. So I'm going to do them next. So excited. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about incubating. You suggested that a dry hatch was better. Any idea what to keep the humidity on? Some say 40-45. for 18 days and let it go higher later. Still learning.
pop.gif

I'm not a bit familiar with hatching in a typical incubator but I'm sure someone will chime in on the dry hatch. I've heard that shipped eggs have a much worse hatch rate...so your particular breed of choice is an exception to that? That would be an interesting study as to just why!

I do a dry hatch but don't measure any humidity and just let the first chick provide humidity for the next and so on...seemed to work great in that last nest.

Candled the rest of the eggs and removed all clears....leaving 10 eggs and they all have good movement in them, so the hatch was not ruined just yet. All air cells look great and on target, all chick movement is good and no blood rings were found. Will check this bunch again on the 18th day to put air cells in the proper place and then no more turning...can't wait to see if any hatch! Looks to be 7 WR eggs, 2 BA and one NH left in the clutch.

That little NH egg is of particular interest to me because it comes from my little 6 yr old dynamo hen, Little Red, who has been the best little layer all these years, has good feathering, good foraging, and good hardiness....not to mention she has a great personality and inspects all chores, supervises all construction and generally makes her presence known in a quiet, sweet way. She's a great bird and it sure would be nice to have a hen out of her genetics, even if it's a mixed breed bird...I can't think of anything better than superior Rock genes crossed with this special little bird. Sure hope it makes it and that it's a pullet.

Candled the rest of the eggs and removed all clears....leaving 10 eggs and they all have good movement in them, so the hatch was not ruined just yet. All air cells look great and on target, all chick movement is good and no blood rings were found. Will check this bunch again on the 18th day to put air cells in the proper place and then no more turning...can't wait to see if any hatch! Looks to be 7 WR eggs, 2 BA and one NH left in the clutch.

That little NH egg is of particular interest to me because it comes from my little 6 yr old dynamo hen, Little Red, who has been the best little layer all these years, has good feathering, good foraging, and good hardiness....not to mention she has a great personality and inspects all chores, supervises all construction and generally makes her presence known in a quiet, sweet way. She's a great bird and it sure would be nice to have a hen out of her genetics, even if it's a mixed breed bird...I can't think of anything better than superior Rock genes crossed with this special little bird. Sure hope it makes it and that it's a pullet.
Good to hear you still have 10 'goods'... and best of luck with the NH egg!
fl.gif
. Hens like that are such a joy to have around!

Last edited:
pop.gif

i run my rcom @45% rite thru all 21 days. some ppl increase to 65% for last 3 days.some ppl run lower humidity to start if they r in a humid location.

i get better hatch rates running mine 45% ,weighting eggs & graph for a 13-14% weight loss over 21 days .
I adjusting humidity up or down depending on weight loss/aircell size rather than trying to keep a specific humidity level.
if weight loss isn't sufficient , i decrease humidity, or increase if weight loss is too great (i weigh day 7, day 14 & day 18)

hope that helps Linda
smile.png

cheers
Pete

Congrats on the liveliness! Wishing you a Good Hatch!

I set a dozen in my homemade bator Saturday.

i run my rcom @45% rite thru all 21 days. some ppl increase to 65% for last 3 days.some ppl run lower humidity to start if they r in a humid location.

i get better hatch rates running mine 45% ,weighting eggs & graph for a 13-14% weight loss over 21 days .
I adjusting humidity up or down depending on weight loss/aircell size rather than trying to keep a specific humidity level.
if weight loss isn't sufficient , i decrease humidity, or increase if weight loss is too great (i weigh day 7, day 14 & day 18)

hope that helps Linda
smile.png

cheers
Pete

Pete,
Do you live in a High or low humidity area? I'm on the Gulf Coast in Texas and the humidity is always high (80% right now, and is normally 70-100%) here.

Pete,
Do you live in a High or low humidity area? I'm on the Gulf Coast in Texas and the humidity is always high (80% right now, and is normally 70-100%) here.

live 7hrs drive from coast ,low humidity (65%) low rainfall area ,high summer temps( 44C),moderate winter temps (-2C) chooks & I survive ok lol

Back
Top Bottom