Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

What kind of homemade 'bator?
pop.gif
Inquiring minds wanna know.......
big_smile.png

It is an ice chest bator that consists of 2-60-watt light bulbs for heat, a mini temp controller (controlling to .3-C), 4 mason qt.jars of water(for a heat sink) a plastic shallow pan for water(humidity control), a shelf with an auto egg turner sitting on it and a pc fan for air circulation. I have a thermometer/hygrometer with a remote sensor for reference. I'm using a Braun kids ear thermometer and spot checking/monitoring egg shell temperature. Currently, I am running right at 100-degrees egg shell temp and 45% humidity.

This is my first hatch with this bator. I have 7-shipped LS eggs and 5- of my Dominique eggs in it. We are on day-5.

For the first 3-days I was running and controlling bator temp and controller probe in a water wiggler. Then I started checking egg shell temp and found the temp too low(97.5-98-F). I hope I did not kill them. I guess I will see on day 7-8 candling/weighing day.

It is an ice chest bator that consists of 2-60-watt light bulbs for heat, a mini temp controller (controlling to .3-C), 4 mason qt.jars of water(for a heat sink) a plastic shallow pan for water(humidity control), a shelf with an auto egg turner sitting on it and a pc fan for air circulation. I have a thermometer/hygrometer with a remote sensor for reference. I'm using a Braun kids ear thermometer and spot checking/monitoring egg shell temperature. Currently, I am running right at 100-degrees egg shell temp and 45% humidity.

This is my first hatch with this bator. I have 7-shipped LS eggs and 5- of my Dominique eggs in it. We are on day-5.

For the first 3-days I was running and controlling bator temp and controller probe in a water wiggler. Then I started checking egg shell temp and found the temp too low(97.5-98-F). I hope I did not kill them. I guess I will see on day 7-8 candling/weighing day.

You know, when I was measuring shell surface temps and keeping them at 100, I think the interior must have been too low because when I got that water wiggler and started monitoring the internal temps, the surface temps were about 6-7 degrees higher. Sort of the opposite of what you found....wonder why, you figure? Still learning this whole incubation thingy.....

Now I don't even check surface temps and just use the wiggler.

Well we have been in a drought since 2001. But now it is pouring cats and dogs! My rain gauge has overflowed. My guess is 8+ inches. Thank You, Lord!

Yes! Praise the Lord for the rains!
celebrate.gif
We are getting good rains this year also and I hope that continues on through the summer as they are the only thing that cuts the humidity around here...and the garden is finally starting to grow, so really need those rains. We are supposed to get rain all next week and the rest of this week as well.

Well we have been in a drought since 2001. But now it is pouring cats and dogs! My rain gauge has overflowed. My guess is 8+ inches. Thank You, Lord!

Where are you at cowpoke! Where is the rain? So happy for ya'll!
Best,
Karen in western PA

You know, when I was measuring shell surface temps and keeping them at 100, I think the interior must have been too low because when I got that water wiggler and started monitoring the internal temps, the surface temps were about 6-7 degrees higher. Sort of the opposite of what you found....wonder why, you figure? Still learning this whole incubation thingy.....

Now I don't even check surface temps and just use the wiggler.

Yes! Praise the Lord for the rains!
celebrate.gif
We are getting good rains this year also and I hope that continues on through the summer as they are the only thing that cuts the humidity around here...and the garden is finally starting to grow, so really need those rains. We are supposed to get rain all next week and the rest of this week as well.

I have the mini temperature controller's probe in the water wiggler. I can not put my thermometer/hygrometer probe in a water wiggler, due to the same probe reads my bator humidity. So it is sensing bator temp and humidity. Currently reading 100.9F and 45% humidity.

bun.gif
My little rain dance!!!
woot.gif
Do any of you remember going out and playing in the rain when you were young?? I haven't done that, well since I was young!!! A looonnnggg time ago! I think I would get out and play in this rain, if I lived in Tx!!
tongue.png
Sounds so refreshing. We were in Houston texas about 6 years ago, living off and on. Dh was working there. It was very dry and dusty. When it did rain, the humidity was stifling! So if you went out and played in the rain, it would be like taking a warm shower!!

Back
Top Bottom