Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I've noticed that too....the chicks that take too long to come out and arrive after the others seem too weak to live. Toes curled, peeping all the time....just not thriving.

Sounds like you have the ideal brooding pen there! I just made one and it could possibly hold three broodies with some good space between them but I wouldn't push anymore than that. It's larger than my old brood pen, so I'm very happy with it. I know what you mean about chicks running into a cranky broody mama on another nest...might get their heads pecked in....or they may be "stolen". I've not had it happen before but you never know.

The last two broodies I brooded together were both hatching on the same day and then proceeded to raise their families together until one left the whole group to the other broody and went back to the flock. It's funny to watch all those family dynamics, isn't it?

I've noticed that most folks have plenty of broodies this year....an abundance, really. I just have the one, but my flock is very small right now...when it gets bigger I suspect I'll be seeing more broodies.

I'm hoping some of the trends toward 'heritage' birds may help revive some interest in broodies... I know there are a lot of beautifully feathered birds out there now, and many 'awesome' egg layers and cool egg colors.... but I put more value on a good old fashioned 'plow horse' any day over a show pony. Thankfully it seems there are a few folks still interested in keeping the utility intact!

So even if this trend toward 'heritage' doesn't last, and broodies fall out of favor again, at least I will know that in our back yard there will be a bunch of birds able to reproduce without the aid of electricity or other human assistance!

I've got some new chicks. Two little easter egger mutts, I think atleast one will be a cockerel. Gorgeous little thing, kind of looks like a Columbian colored bird with splashes on it's back and almost blue slate legs. I also got two little Marans ladies, both splash.. one splash with orange (random, right?
lol.png
) the other greyish.

The plan is to keep a cockerel and figure out a way to keep him indoors during the night and early morning hours. Later in the day there's plenty of noise that he shouldn't be an issue. I want to make some barnyard mutts that suit my needs.. Gonna need a broody hah. But first get some birds to actually breed
tongue.png

I'm just reporting back that all my eggs have hatched!! I can't quite believe it!

In case anyone doesn't know:

I started out with 10 eggs and improvised an incubator by sellotaping a light bulb into an old cupboard i wasn't using. I also had a digital thermometer, but no hydrometer so I've no clue what the humidity was but it was probably quite low because it was a large space inside and just one small dish of water. 3 of my eggs i took out early on - 1 was infertile and 2 were early quitters - the rest all made it to lock down. At lock down i filled the cupboard with water containers to up the humidity and my eggs started hatching one after the other first thing in the morning on day 22. The last egg to hatch hadn't pipped and was chirping loudly inside the egg and i ended up making a peep hole at 1am and leaving it over night. By the morning, still nothing, so i made a zip with tweezers and took the top off and left it back in the incubator. 12 hours later it was out by itself and i now have 7 baby chicks! I can't believe they all hatched, I'm amazed, especially after reading how so many chicks don't make it even in fancy hi tech incubators!

Here's some pics of my story :)

This is my improvised incubator. It's seriously that simple. Cupboard, light bulb, thermometer, tray of water and some towels draped over for extra insulation.

My eggs started pipping 5am day 22

First chick hatched by 6:30am

By 5pm day 22 i had 6 healthy chicks

The last egg which was tweeting but failed to pip. I made a peep hole at 1am day 23 and then opened the shell at 6am after it had failed to progress.

By 5pm day 23 it was out!

Now I'm just waiting till it's properly dried and fluffed up before it stick it in with the others. I think that's pretty good for a first attempt! My husband and his dad never thought they'd make it. I am so chuffed
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
That is so cool. Why do people buy incubators?
lol.png

That's just what i was thinking lol But probably because they are better regulated. I was tending to my cupboard throughout the day and night, always checking the temp and adjusting the ventilation to keep the temp as steady as possible. It still fluctuated a lot though, i was sure that was going to negatively effect my eggs, but apparently not. Or maybe i'v just got beginers luck?

Back
Top Bottom