Single bachelor pad

mts526

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
Florida
Can a single rooster be kept separated by fencing from hens (so, within eyeshot/earshot and able to touch beaks)?
Not sure if this would lead to rooster insanity or not. (And, if so, whether there is a better strategy to separate them, such as moving him far away?)

Might work out OK, might not.
Try the first but have the second ready to go.

Why do you want to separate this male?
Need details to help effectively.

Might work out OK, might not.
Try the first but have the second ready to go.

Why do you want to separate this male?
Need details to help effectively.
Posting for my mom/ mom's flock. Two reasons-- he came at her this week when she was handling a hen. (First time that's happened, but we do not want it to happen again.) And, she is getting ready to add a new batch of pullets who may be too young (7 weeks) to mingle with him.

I did that my rooster was very upset at first then he settled in and seemed fine but he was never what you’d call happy he eventually went to a great hole where he spends his time with all sorts of animals!

I did that my rooster was very upset at first then he settled in and seemed fine but he was never what you’d call happy he eventually went to a great hole where he spends his time with all sorts of animals!
Thanks. We are also looking at rehoming options, but short-term it seems separation is the best option there.

Thanks. We are also looking at rehoming options, but short-term it seems separation is the best option there.
Yeah it could work my rooster knight boy wasn’t miserable or upset but it was kinda sad to hear him calling night and day to the girls he was very sweet!

Posting for my mom/ mom's flock. Two reasons-- he came at her this week when she was handling a hen. (First time that's happened, but we do not want it to happen again.) And, she is getting ready to add a new batch of pullets who may be too young (7 weeks) to mingle with him.
Give the separation a try...or if she doesn't want to hatch from her own flock, get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom