Single eye clogged... need help

thlynch3

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
Northern Virginia
This afternoon I herded my flock into the coop and noticed some of them had one of there eye's clogged. They were all sitting much more calmly then usual and i'm not quite sure what to do. None of the ones that were infected had both of their eyes closed, each time it was only one eye. I would really enjoy some advice on what to do. Thanks in advance.

When I say 'clogged' I mean the eye lids are sealed shut by what looks like a dried liquid. For some of the birds it was still watery, like mucos. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures, I'll ry to get some up by the end of tomorrow...

Last edited:
Isolate her in and put her in a small dog kennel inside.Flush the eye with water then apply Terramycin Eye ointment which can be found at a local feed store.Pics would be great.

what you can do and I would do is this,

isolate all of the birds infected in separate cages,
to help prevent an more chickens getting the eye infection.

I would use my
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPIE,
FOR EACH AND EVERY CHICKEN THERE.
here is recipe in total with vitamins,
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR A SINGLE CHICKEN.
IF CHICKEN IS MOULTING AND IS STRESSED DO THIS FOR ITS HEALTH:
ALSO IF TREATING SICK CHICKS OR ADULTS.
IE: WORMING, ANY TYPE DISEASE OR COCCIDIOSIS ETC:
Glenda Heywood now the
natural probiotic recipe is this:
1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk, sweet, sour, or buttermilk or a mixture of all or some
1/4 cup of non flavored yoguart ( no artificial sweetmer)
mix good.
do not make sloopy JUST WET AND CHICKENS WILL EAT IT BETTER.
chickens do not like sloppy feed AS IT STICKS ON THEIR BEAKS.

ADULT CHICKENS
NOW THE IMPORTANT INGRIEDIENT FOR EACH CHICKEN FED.
and add 1- 400 mg of Vit E (PER CHICKEN FED WET MASH PROBIOTIC MIXTURE) by cutting the end off the vit E capsule for each chicken fed this wet mash.

Putting the vitamin E in the wet mash and mix wet mash good to get vitamin E in very chickens amount.

This for each chicken your treating.
So for each chicken use 4 tsp of mixture and 1-400 mg of Vit E,
twice a day for them till the birds feathers are grown out,

then just three times a week feed wet mash and ,
Cut back on the vitamin E to 400 mg once a week,

and feed each chicken,
4 tsp full of the wet mash probiotic and what they will clean up in 20-30 minutes,
then clean wet feeders and restock dry crumbles,
IE: or each chicken your making wet mash probiotic for:

DO THIS:
4 tsp of feed and 1 tsp of the yoguart and just enough milk to mix it good not sloppy wet. And add the 400 mg Vitamin E once a week if not sick.
IF SICK feed 1-2 vit E 400 mg twice a day per chicken that is sick.

CHICKS RECIPE:
DO THIS:
IF CHICKS ARE SICK add a 1000 mg vitamin E ONCE A DAY TO THE ABOVE: ie: 1 QT OF CRUMBLES AND 2 QTS OF SOME KIND OF MILK,
AND 1/4 CUP PLAIN YOGUART.
(this is for any and all kinds of sickness )
ALSO IF TREATING CHICKENS WHO ARE SICK,
DO NOT put Apple Cider Vinegar in the water while giving medication.
OTHER WISE use 2 tabelspoons of ACV to the gallon when not feeding medication.

GLENDA HEYWOOD
I USED THIS AND HAVE GIVEN THE RECIPE TO THOUSANDS PEOPLE HERE,

ON BYC OR MYPOULTRY NEWSPAPER National Poulty News WHICH WAS FINALL PUT TO BED ON 12-2005 DUE MY HEALTH PROBLEMS,
NOW I AM BACK ON BYC AS GLENDA HEYWOOD.

also I would do this

buy
vetrx
it can be bought on line
from Smith's Poultry and Game bird Supply ou of Kansas
or on line also.

VetRx Poultry Remedy

VetRx Poultry Remedy is for use in chickens, bantams, ducks and game birds. A few drops every few weeks can help relieve colds, croup, scaly legs and eye worms. Use also as a conditioner.

VetRx Poultry Remedy is for use in chickens, bantams, ducks and game birds. A few drops EVERY DAY TWICE A DAY FOR ALL SICK BIRDS; help relieve any eye disease and clgged throat or cough etc.

ALSO PUT 1 TSP OF VETRX IN GALLON OF DRINKING WATER FOR ALL CHCKENS.colds, croup, scaly legs and eye worms

I WOULD GO ON LINE AND ORDER SOME ESP check amazon

Last edited:
You are probably dealing with a respiratory disease, possibly mycoplasma (MG.) It can cause conjunctivitis with crusty eye drainage and foam. It is contagious, and can make carriers of all birds exposed. Tylan 50 injectable antibiotic can still be bought at many feed stores, or Tylan 200 which is 4 times as strong. Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.2 ml per pound of weight given orally or as an injection into the breast muscle, twice a day for 5 days. Clean the eyes with saline or warm wet soaks to the eyes and apply Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. Getting some testing may help identifying the disease.

You are probably dealing with a respiratory disease, possibly mycoplasma (MG.) It can cause conjunctivitis with crusty eye drainage and foam. It is contagious, and can make carriers of all birds exposed. Tylan 50 injectable antibiotic can still be bought at many feed stores, or Tylan 200 which is 4 times as strong. Dosage of Tylan 50 is 0.2 ml per pound of weight given orally or as an injection into the breast muscle, twice a day for 5 days. Clean the eyes with saline or warm wet soaks to the eyes and apply Terramycin eye ointment twice a day. Getting some testing may help identifying the disease.

X2

HERE IS TE TRUTH IF THE LAST TWO PEOPLE ARE RIGHT.

YOU HAVE A CONTAMNATED FLOCK.

YOU WILL LOSE THEM ALL.

SO TAKE ONE OF THE SICKEST CHICKENS TO A ANIMAL VET.

TO SEE IF HE WILL TEST IT TO SEE WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT.

ALSO DO THIS:

ON BYC IS A PERSON CALLED CASPORTPONY.

SHE HAS STUDYED VET BOOKS FOR EMERGENCIES.

PRIVATE MESSAGE HER. pm HER HERE NOW.

TO COME AND HELP YOU AND GIVE HER THE POS URL.

TELL HER GLENDA HEYWOOD TOLD YOU TO PM HER NOW.

SHE IS VERY GOOD WITH HELP AND MEDICATIONS ETC.

Last edited:

Here are a few images. This isn't all f them. Also, I've got an expert to come look at them this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom