Sitting on eggs and pale comb

Jenny421

Songster
May 21, 2021
We’ve got a broody hen. We are on day 18. I just checked on her and her comb is very pale. I’ve been getting her out to eat and drink a few times a day as it’s been super hot here in GA. Is this something to be concerned about? Should I bring her inside the basement with her eggs?

I would not move her now; the eggs are at the stage called lockdown when artificially incubated, and interfering with the hatching process can imperil the chicks.

She will probably sit tight while it is ongoing, and not leave to eat, drink or poop. Be ready to give her as much food and water as she wants when she comes off the nest. Meantime, do your best to keep the nest shaded from the sun and well ventilated.

The pale comb is not an issue. A bright red comb tells a rooster "I'm laying and my eggs need to be fertilized". A pale comb tells a rooster "I'm not laying so leave me alone". A broody hen is not laying and does not need her eggs to be fertilized. It is working the way it is supposed to.

I would not move her now; the eggs are at the stage called lockdown when artificially incubated, and interfering with the hatching process can imperil the chicks.

She will probably sit tight while it is ongoing, and not leave to eat, drink or poop. Be ready to give her as much food and water as she wants when she comes off the nest. Meantime, do your best to keep the nest shaded from the sun and well ventilated.
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom