Size of Coop

Swede

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
I am planning a coop 3.5' by 5.5' and 7' tall is that big enough for 6 chickens 4 full size and 2 bantams?

I am building an 8 x 4 coop for 4 chickens - It will have a nesting box that will be built outside the coop with only the opening to the coop which will save space. They will be in the coop for the most part but will free range in the afternoons. (I consider any chicken free-ranging if there are not 3 chickens in a 1 foot by 1 foot cage!)

I have a nice, cute little 4x4ft coop i built a while back that i think i'm finally going to set up. I plan on thinning out the flock...A Lot, but i'm still not sure how many i am going to keep. does the size of the coop matter if they have a big enough yard? I plan on adding at least 2 more nesting boxes on the outside also(since i messed up the one on the inside!), but made it so they could be closed in at night.

I'm keeping at the very least my 3 cochins (banty size, 2 hens and a roo), 2 leghorns(hens), and a red sex link(hen)

You're pushing the limit with the 4 standards, the bantams will get bullied/stomped in there. Make it bigger, and you may need to be able to give the bantys a refuge if the big guys make them miserable. My coop is 4x4 for 4 birds, but they'll only be cooped at night. Their yard is 8x12 and they'll free range for several hours each day.

I was thinking i might make a twin to the coop i already have built, i used scrap wood for it and have a ton of the same stuff left over. old fence panels...i used the panels, 2x4's and even the screws, only thing i needed to buy was the wood for the floor and roof
smile.png

They would also be on stilts to give more yard area and a shady spot for them to hang out.

oh very cool on using all scrap wood! I am zero dollars into my coop so far - all scrap wood so far!!! will need to buy some hinges though

all the other hardware i needed i went and scrounged for in the shop/garage.....amazing what kind of stuff my dad's kept and hoarded over the years, lol......jars and drawers for miles it seems:p

I'll have to post a picture once i get it moved, sanded and repainted....it's looking a little rustic right now with the old flaking paint!
smile.png

Yes would love to see pics - I will post some of mine as well - I basically have the framing complete and just need to add chicken wire and a gate to the front. And yes I need to paint it also from all the flaking paint as well!! LOL:p

Back
Top Bottom