Skinny-as-can-be Chicken

She had been wormed. All my chickens have. I brought her back in last night after letting her back out in the coop for some time. She hasn't gotten any better. Still skinny as can be - a pile of bones. I cannot believe she is still alive honestly. Something I noticed though recently - she doesn't make any noises, except when she is startled. (Like my dog hitting the door to go out.) She makes a single, low pitch squeak. It cannot be a cough or sneeze, since it's timed so well. But I went from having a healthy, egg laying, talkative chicken to skinny, not laying, and not vocalizing much.

And we do not have a chicken vet around here. :(

I have had one person look at her - not a vet of course - but she pointed out how when you would open the coop, she was aware and greeted you like all is well... But! She is still a pile of bones. It cannot be overlooked. (And NOT laying eggs.)

Last edited:
What did you use to worm her? Did you do a second dose 10 days later?

Dia.. whatever it's called Earth; followed the directions. Lol I volunteer often at the Animal Control/Shelter and it's actually one of the officers who's been helping me out through this horrible discovery. She's had chickens all of her life. Another thing too after all these months - it's still only the one chicken. None of my others have gotten sick. (And their coop is not that big.) And I have cleaned it out over the winter months. But we live in a smaller area where there's not much to offer for such circumstances... :(

Okay. They had one wormer, Wazine, at the local farm store. I have her all set up and hoping she will drink more of her water. She's been spoiled, moved to a larger crate along with something to roost on and a meal worm treat.

Hoping for the best!

Wazine will only get one type of worns, round worms. That is why I told you to get Safeguard or Valbazen.

Note that at the feed store, Safeguard or Valbazen will not be labeled for use in chickens. You can get a paste form of Safeguard in the horse section, Valbazen in the goat section. There are other threads on here that walk you through the dosing.

If you have a vet nearby (not necessarily a chicken vet) you could take a fecal sample in and ask them to test for worms. That would help you make a decision about which wormer you need, if you do. Of course, fecal tests aren't failsafe, so you may decide you want to go ahead with a wormer without it.

Note that at the feed store, Safeguard or Valbazen will not be labeled for use in chickens. You can get a paste form of Safeguard in the horse section, Valbazen in the goat section. There are other threads on here that walk you through the dosing.

If you have a vet nearby (not necessarily a chicken vet) you could take a fecal sample in and ask them to test for worms. That would help you make a decision about which wormer you need, if you do. Of course, fecal tests aren't failsafe, so you may decide you want to go ahead with a wormer without it.

Thank you. Never had an issue until this year so new to all of this. I love my flock, and while so many out there tell me to just let this chicken be - to let nature take its course, I cannot. I've taken in unwanted chickens and a chicken who was left to die, over the past year. It's been on my heart to NOT allow this chicken (one of my originals) to fall through the crack. I've been out trying to spoil her and she's been in the house during the coldest times. My heart is just breaking for her. I hadn't been successful with finding wormer in the past and even today, the Wazine was almost a downer. (Not having many farm stores, once it's gone, it's gone.) I didn't know about being able to use the goat/horse wormers. The animal control officer pointed me to the Dia Earth when I was at my wits end with finding wormer. Figure it was better than nothing, but I guess it truly wasn't.

Instead of dwelling in the past though, I'm glad this little lady is still alive. After moving her to a bigger crate, she gained some of her personality back; squawking happily and clucking away. Next time I am in town I will try the different wormers, but hoping the best for what I had got.

Thank you again for the extra information.

No problem, I've learned most of what I know about treating injuries and illness through this forum. I'm fortunate that I have an "exotics" vet that's willing to see chickens, and have brought a couple of my girls in to see him over the years. But wouldn't you know it, he often recommends just what I read to do from reading this forum-it's just that he can prescribe antibiotics if needed :)

I do hope you get your girl feeling better. When I have skinny ones or girls that aren't eating right, I will wet down their food into a mash, and maybe mix in some rolled oats, raisins, and corn kernels to encourage them to eat. Some bread soaked in vitamin infused water helps too.

We're rooting for you!

Back
Top Bottom