Skinny hens

mertzee

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Middle TN
I have 4 black sexlink hens. Only two appear to be laying and they take turns I think as I am only getting one or two eggs a day. I have only had them for 3 weeks. They were previously fed scratch only and free ranged. Now they get layer crumbles everyday, scrambled eggs a couple times a week. Oyster shells are constantly available. Healthy Grains scratch every day. Occasional meal worms. Some periodic treats as I have available. I checked vents and crops this afternoon and they all felt so thin I'm really worried about them. The first week I had them they got sick (I think one was sick when I got them as she died after only a week from respiratory complications. I have treated them with antibiotics Gone through first dose of worming even though I'm not seeing any in their poop. I see only normal poop. They seem to eat and drink actively. What can I do for them. They felt like skin and bones when I picked them up. Any suggestions?? Please help I am afraid they just need something.

Are they actually eating their layer crumbles?

You might try giving them chick starter for a while (with oyster shell on the side) -- but cut out all the treats that are diluting the protein they need.
They are eating the crumbles. Wouldn't give the pellets a second look so now I am stuck with a huge bag of pellets they won't eat. Anyone know how to make mash with them? I hadn't thought of chick starter. Do you think I should mix it with the layer crumbles?

I agree with the previous answers. No treats, just regular feed. If they don't want to eat it, mix in some water for a mash. They need a healthy diet, not junk food and snacks.
I am cutting out everything but the crumbles starting tomorrow. Do you know how to make mash? Thanks!

You should try making fermented feed and giving to your chickens. The fermented feed increases absorption of nutritional value of the feed. Which in turn, helps them process there food even faster. There's a list of beneficial values to help maintain and increase the health of the birds also.

There are articles of various methods of fermenting based on feed type. Just use the search bar and type fermented feed. You will learn a lot from it.

Back
Top Bottom