Slackers, or am I expecting too many eggs?

Wow glad I asked that is another great read.

who else does this? Your approach seems wonderfully chaotic! How amazing would it be if you did in fact come up with a new breed by just breaking all conventions and just doing what works for the desired results. I truly can’t wait to see what you come up with. I think you say your goal is increased egg production and not a breed you can sell but if someone discovers a new breed of chicken (and by this I mean the way that say, Silkies are different from Easter Eggers) it’s as likely to come from some random experiment by someone such as yourself as it is from a scientist carefully tracking each specimen with a tactical agenda. Especially if you do this for several generations and keep good notes you may discover traits you find desirable that you do not even contemplate now.
I love it. very exciting. Thanks for all your contributions here!

At best, I'll have a landrace (a local cultivar or animal breed that has been improved by traditional agricultural methods), not a breed. and while I am seeing some unexpectedly early success, its going to take years before I've culled out undesired traits, and reinforced the elements I want enough that the birds will have common and predictable character. Even then, their genetics should be varied enough that they won't always breed true - I'm starting with considerable variety. Nature is helping, of course. The birds that free range the best, and survive the local predators the best have the best chance of avoiding the stew pot.

As to who does this??? Very few, anymore. Used to be, this was the way - you kept and bred the birds you wanted, and made other uses of the rest. Over time and with stubborn selection, the birds of an area would become known for certain traits and before well in similar geographic conditions.

Now, with modern understandings of genetics? This is the slowest way to go about it. All that chaos promises some surprises, yes, but it offers few assurances that I can even preserve an early success in later generations.

Last edited:
At best, I'll have a landrace (a local cultivar or animal breed that has been improved by traditional agricultural methods), not a breed.
wow. More reading I need to do on the differences between breed and landrace. Because after 2020? It’s possible to imagine that the diversity of preserved genetic material in your flock could be humanity’s salvation!

…or as you say a complete waste of time!! But unlikely a *complete* waste since you are getting eggs and in the unlikely event that stops? It’s no problem a good barbecue wouldn’t cure so well done brother keep us posted!

Michael

Back
Top Bottom