Sleeping in the nests?

mhegge

Songster
Sep 2, 2015
Newbie here, our 5 hens and rooster (all 11 weeks) like to sleep cuddled together in one nesting box ignoring the roost bar. Is this normal and ok? I figure it'll be handy come the cold winter here in Wisconsin but didn't know if it's a bad habit. Also, how good are they at finding their way back home? They got into the farmers soybeans today and I coaxed them back out, but it made me wonder what their directional abilities were like? The rooster seemed pretty good actually. Thanks!

I have 4 adult hens and 1 adult rooster, only had them since June,,, only 2 of the hens actually roost, the others sleep in nest boxes,,, 1 rooster and 1 hen together in 1 box and another hen in a nest box by herself.

Sorry, not sure about your other question regarding them finding their way back home, I am still a newbie myself, just wanted to let you know that some of mine do sleep in the nest boxes and not perch/roost or whatever it's called.

I have a silkie hen that dominates the others but follows the silkie rooster EVERYWHERE,, they are adorable to watch cuddling, etc. They don't always sleep in the same nest box, I caught the rooster the other day sleeping in a nest box with one of the other hens and she was alone in a nest box sleeping. She has her own box though and won't allow any other hen in hers.

Just today, one of the hens was making that loud rape noise, lol, cuz the rooster was getting some, and the silkie hen stopped eating and ran as fast as she could and broke it up. I think she is very jealous of the rooster trying to mate with any hen but her, lol.

Sorry, that was off topic, just wanted to share.

It can take some time for your chicks to learn to use the roost. I would block your nestboxes for now, it does become a bad habit that you won't like when they are laying their eggs in their poop. They will get better about returning to the coop as they get older, but they go through a faze where they don't want to go in it until late, so round them up and lock them in a half hour before sundown, the rooster will actually be in charge of round up when he matures a bit, mine never go to roost until all the hens are in, and if they have to round someone up they are usually a bit irritated about it. I'm in Wisconsin too.

It can take some time for your chicks to learn to use the roost. I would block your nestboxes for now, it does become a bad habit that you won't like when they are laying their eggs in their poop. They will get better about returning to the coop as they get older, but they go through a faze where they don't want to go in it until late, so round them up and lock them in a half hour before sundown, the rooster will actually be in charge of round up when he matures a bit, mine never go to roost until all the hens are in, and if they have to round someone up they are usually a bit irritated about it. I'm in Wisconsin too.
I clean out the poop from my nest boxes each and every morning and so all my eggs are always clean.

My 3 older hens go up first, then the rooster, then the dominate silkie hen is always last to go up. I also notice, she is always the last to come out every morning. But. , my rooster is just a year old so hopefully he will mature soon.

How do you block the nest boxes? Looking for easy and inexpensive :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom