Sleeping in the nests?

Is your roost higher than the nests?
Is it easy to get up to and down from?

Post pic of your nests and we can help you figure out what might work best.

My nests are actually higher than the roost. The nests aren't fancy, just a wooden shelf with a board on the front to hold in the straw and little dividers.

My nests are actually higher than the roost. The nests aren't fancy, just a wooden shelf with a board on the front to hold in the straw and little dividers.
Ah, therein lies your problem.
Nests should be lower than roosts by about a foot...because they like to roost as high as possible.

After you correct the roost/nest box height issue, and they still won't roost where you want them, go out after dark and put them on the roosting bars. It may take a few nights of doing this but they will pick it up quickly.

I'm in wisconsin too!

After you correct the roost/nest box height issue, and they still won't roost where you want them, go out after dark and put them on the roosting bars. It may take a few nights of doing this but they will pick it up quickly.

I'm in wisconsin too!
Good Point!

They were in the nest again, silly birds :) They haven't gone up on it all yet actually (they would usually when it was lower), but it is so hot and humid here that they've only been going in to drink or at night when I shut them in. It's supposed to break soon so I'll give it a few nights.

Back
Top Bottom