Sleeping peafowl

I've thought this myself when needing to medicate, or move birds. I feel, as they're essentially still a wild bird, they would have a powerful flight response even while roosting. Having a bird flying blindly at night could cause a lot of damage, so I've never attempted it. Interested to hear how it goes/experience of others. Cheers.

all i do is to throw a large towel over their head and they calm down immediately. I can pick them up and carry them without getting kicked or beat to death with the wings.

Mine usually go on alert when I go into the coop, and make the warning plunk noise to tell me they see me. If you try to grab one, it may set the others into an upset. Just be aware, I know other members have, in the past, advised against fussing with them at night due to their experiences with having birds panic and flush up into the ceiling and break their necks. This has never happened to me personally, and I don't think my birds would do it, either, because I go into their coops and check on them every night so they're pretty used to me, but still. something to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom