Slidell, LA info

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
hello chicken buddies,

I was wondering if anybody has any info on this area. I have a job opportunity and was wondering what you guys think?

Is it chicken friendly?

ok bye

Hi, I'm about 60 miles from Slidell. It's a nice, fast-growing suburb. It's close enough to New Orleans to go spend the day in the museums and shops and be home for bed. Many people live in Slidell and commute to New Orleans every day. As far as it being chicken friendly, it will depend on where you live. If you are in a neighborhood with restrictions, chances are you will encounter some problems. If you have an acre or so, I'd say it probably won't be an issue. Most of us southerners grew up having family who lived in the "country" and won't mind a bit. I noticed this post is old...have you taken the job?

oh thank you for replying... I thought no one was ever going to say hi.... I have taken the job I intend on moving at the end of May after I graduate with my M.S.

I had some questions. What is the weather like? How are the people? What is the growing season?

and anything else you can divulge.
smile.png

Hi there! I live about 35 miles from Slidell...maybe I could answer a few questions for ya. Friendly people (daughter's DH is from there!), weather is mostly HOT and HUMID in summer, mild winter. I already have several things up and growing in the garden, about ready to plant veggies too. (Long growing season!) And lots of good eatin'! Crawfish season just started--YUMMY! I know there are several fancy subdivisions in Slidell where they will not allow chickens, but I am sure there are places to be found that will allow them. Although, rents and house prices are a lot higher than they used to be before Katrina.

I live in slidell I have been born and raised here I have five hens NO ROOSTERS I give my neighbors some eggs and they love me I keep them clean and quiet. The neighbors like them they come over and look at them and see how I handle them and they don't complain at all.

I know this thread is really old. Just wanted to say hi to all my fellow slidellians.
1f61c.png

I recently read an article saying that last year the city council amended the ordinance against keep livestock to allow Northshore High to raise some animals on their property as part of their Ag classes. That gave me a glimmer of hope, so now I'm wondering if there are any chicken folks willing to help me approach the council to request that they allow small backyard flocks. Roosters are clearly out, but if enough of us get together, just maybe we can get them to allow us a few laying hens.

Anyone interested? I'm not exactly city government savvy.

Hello All! I just moved here in March and am also looking for the same info. Are chickens allowed? I'm definitely with you Sekmet!!

Back
Top Bottom