Slime in my waterers! help!!

I use the ACV in my waterers once a week, keeps em clean and I have seen a big improvement in my birds also. I NEVER use it in a metal one, ALWAYS use a plastic one, or a rubber bowl.........

If you use ACV in the galvanized waterers, the metals will leach into the water. The acid corrodes the sealed surface and ruin your waterer. The metals are toxic to your flock and can cause some pretty bad organ damage.

You bet ya, I lost some brids from using ACV in metal, make em sick and then they dead, so Ive done away with all metal and went to nothing but plastic or rubber..........

Rats, always day late and dollar short. So now I am debating on if I should return it. Or is there something else that can be used in the metal ones?

Just use plan ol water in it and when you go to use the ACV, then use plastic.

If you havent used the metal waterer, then I would take it back and get ya a plastic one..........

Nope have not used it yet, just bought it on Thurs and planned on using it when we move the girls to the Coop next weekend. I am using a 1 gallon plastic one right now that seems to be the favorite "roosting" spot for a couple of the girls.

What is the significance (besides the slime factor) of using ACV? My girls are 4 wks old.

WOW!! I just checked in this morning to see if there was "a" reply to my plea for help.
You people are wonderful! Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions.
Will put some acv in today - and see how it goes.
My ladies thank you, too.
TLee

ACV is really good for their sinus and restpertory[?], I dont have or get the running nose and watery eyes anymore since Ive been using ACV, plus they all look better and act alot better also..........

When buying waterers consider your climate. Yes, it is sweaty season at the moment but if you are going to be freezing up four months from now, buy the flexible rubber hog bowls, not the plastic ones.

This allows you to kick the side of the bowl, flip out the ice and refill (plastic will shatter). Heated plastic dog waterers in the coops also save a lot of time and worry.

We spend more time changing out water during the summer than the winter (used to be the other way `round).

If you cant get ACV, or dont like the smell (like me) I have found that a few slices of lemon put into the waterers every time I change them keeps them nice and algae free too!

Since we get lemons fre every week with the 'cull' produce from our local grocery store, it doesnt cost me anything, and my girls seem to really like it! A few drops squeezed into the smaller waterers for the babies under heat lights seems to work well too!

You cant use this with metal ones either tho.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom