Slime in my waterers! help!!

Just in case you did not know... ACV, apple cider vinegar, has to be the organic kind, NOT the distilled kind you find in the grocery isle. Be sure your bottle has the "mother" in it. That is the slimy looking glob in the bottle.

I use 1 - 2 Tablespoons per gallon of water, and I use it all the time, not just occassionally. ACV has many health benefits.

YOu can use the store bought and it is fine....just not as beneficial as the unpastuerized ACV, which is filled with wonderful probiotics. The store bought is still a good source of Vit. C and a good immunity booster.

I've gotten rave reviews from my egg customers since using the ACV, even though its store bought. It seems to make our eggs more mild and flavorful. Old customers are exclaiming in the difference in the taste and the only thing that has changed is the ACV in the water.....so I can only conclude that its the ACV.

kathyinmo.... Just in case you did not know... ACV, apple cider vinegar, has to be the organic kind, NOT the distilled kind you find in the grocery isle

Where would/do you purchase this type, in the grocery store or a health food store?

ivan3.... When buying waterers consider your climate. Yes, it is sweaty season at the moment but if you are going to be freezing up four months from now, buy the flexible rubber hog bowls, not the plastic ones. Heated plastic dog waterers in the coops also save a lot of time and worry.

I do live in Michigan and winter is at least 5 mths long or better. When using the dog heaters, which waterer would you use with that?

Sorry for the dumb questions, trying hard to learn​

No, distilled vinegar will not make a mother. You need to buy raw organic unpasturized ACV with the mother in it. That is what has all the nutrients, etc. The distilled vinegar at the grocery store is just a vinegar taste and can be used to clean windows, slimey sludge, etc. It does not have the health benefits that you want.

I purchase my "Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar," at a health food store. You can go online to Bragg.com to find where it is available. They do carry it in a few grocery stores in the health food / organic food isle. Bragg's also has several books about the health benefits of ACV. There are many stories about it online, as well. I like the Bragg's brand myself.

I drink a vinegar cocktail or two everyday. This is like a tea drink: water, 1 TBSP vinegar, and organic honey. I enjoy it hot, but some like it cold. I have noticed a big improvement in my overall health. Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel it is wonderful. My hair is shiny, my skin is nicer, I feel better, etc. I notice that my chickens have the prettiest, shiny feathers, and they are so healthy and appear happy. I contribute at least some of it to the ACV.

You know the old saying, "An apple a day keeps the Dr. away!"
Well, that is what ACV is after all. Many of our ancestors relied on it.

Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules. Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout history. In 400 B.C. the great Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, used it for its amazing health qualities.

Most people don't know how wonderful vinegar is. Its cleansing properties are known to aid digestion by stimulating the flow of enzymes and saliva in the mouth. Vinegar has been shown to support a healthy heart.

Vinegar can do everything from relieving muscle pain from exercise, balancing pH levels, soothing sore throats, and normalizing weight and helping to maintain levels of cholesterol already in the normal range. Externally, it is effective in supporting healthy skin and hair. Use it topically to give yourself a vinegar facial for toning or clearing up non-cystic acne and exfoliating dry dull skin. Gently rub your skin with a soft cotton ball dipped in vinegar and watch your skin glow! It's also great for animals. Use it as a soothing after-bath rinse for cats and dogs to eliminate dry skin. Just as with people, it is also helpful in older animals. The high acidity and powerful enzymes in apple cider vinegar also supports a healthy scalp. Try a rinse of apple cider vinegar after you wash your hair. It gives hair incredible shine and bounce!

It's so easy to incorporate vinegar into your daily diet. When you wake up in the morning just make a delicious cocktail using 2 teaspoons of raw, organic apple cider vinegar, and if you need a sweetener, use organic honey, 100% maple syrup, or molasses to taste. If you are diabetic, use the sweet substitute stevia. I recommend you use only distilled water. This "Bragg Healthy Cocktail" is designed to flush out wastes that are clogging the organs of elimination, the bowels, lungs, skin, and the kidneys. Take it at least twice a day, and you will start to see changes like increased energy, soft skin, and decreased muscle and joint aches from exercise. Make sure you use raw, organic vinegar, never dead, distilled vinegar because the natural enzymes, minerals, and nutrients are destroyed in the distilling process. Any vinegar that is clear and has no "mother" (the strand-like substance in the bottom of the bottle) has no nutritional value. Natural raw vinegar should be pungent, with a rich, brownish color and a visible "mother."

Last edited:
I think there is a little confusion as to what is distilled and what is pasteurized. Distilled white vinegar is just that...distilled and is good for cleaning, etc. as mentioned above.

Pasteurized ACV is apple cider vinegar, brown in color, that has been heated to kill any microbes. I have bought ACV from the store and discovered a "mother" has survived this process. It can happen. Pasteurized vinegar has not "lost all its nutrients" but it has lost most or all of its probiotic properties, or "good" bacteria and fungi. It still has nutritional value, just like pasteurized cheeses and milks.

I have raised my 35plus flock
on ACV 2 Table spoons to a gal of water and never had a worm problem.and i also take a teaspoon to 4oz. fruit juice .
its an excellent sorce for to relieve aches ..
not kidding.. next time you have a headache wet
a cloth then add a capfull of ACV to the cloth,
tie it around Ur head.
no pills and no more headache..

Quote:
That's so interesting....and something to look forward to. Thanks for posting this, this is the first I've heard about acv and its effects on the taste of the egg. Cool!

Back
Top Bottom