Slipped tendon, splayed leg? Confused!

BroosterSpringsteen

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
NW North Carolina
This EE chick hatched 2 days ago. It was pipped for more than 48 hours, then surprisingly hatched on day 23. It has curled toes and a leg problem. I thought it was splayed leg, so I made the hobbles, and cardboard shoes for the feet. Within a few hours, the chick was up and about, hobbling all over the bator. But it's only standing on one leg. Could it be a slipped tendon? I can't tell if the joint is swollen. It looks just like the joint on the good leg. But the bad leg won't straighten all the way. He's getting around pretty well, and I'd rather not cull. Advice on how to treat this?

Here's a picture. I temporarily took off his cardboard shoes to make new ones.

So, an update. I managed to straighten the leg by sort of massaging the knee into place, and then secured it with flexible bandage tape. He's standing well, and getting around the brooder just fine. But so far, after lots of reading, I haven't been able to find even one successful case of someone treating a chick with this problem. I would love to hear from anyone with experience in this.

I am watching your experience as I am going through the same thing now. I think mine has a slipped tendon, but "treating" it for both - Just aligning the joint and wrapping it then securing both legs together seems to be helping it stand, which in turn I hope strengthens the leg muscles. It is a beautiful lavender silkie baby that I so want to "fix"! Good luck and update when you can with the progress!

Hey thanks! So good to hear from someone going through the same thing.

Today I took off the cardboard shoe. The toes are straight now. I also removed the hobbles, but left the bad leg straight and wrapped. The chick puts most weight on one leg, but occasionally shifts to the other. It can't stand on the leg with the splint. It gets around with no problems though. I just can't tell if what I'm doing is helping at all? Will the slipped tendon get better?

How is your chick?

She just hatched last night, and I thought it was maybe just trying to get used to walking as I notice some chicks progress faster than others with that. This morning it was definately an issue, so I read a bunch, asked some questions, and someone suggested to check for a slipped tendon. I am a huge "visual" person, and was trying to figure out how to tell? When I straightened the leg however, I could manipulate the knee and feel the tendon go into place. I did what you did for wrapping the joint to keep it straight and hopefully keep the tendon in place, but used a rubber band that I read about on another thread to keep the legs together. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/41693/spraddle-leg-splay-leg-treatment-instructions Post #7.

It seems to be working in helping it to stand , and it is figuring out how to get around. My concern is that it will fall into the water dish . I have marbles in it...but not sure it could roll out. I noticed it was sleeping on it's side tonight - probably easier for it.

Here's to our valiant efforts to help our chicks!!
yippiechickie.gif

Your chick sounds a lot like my chick. Mine hatched on Sunday, and I noticed immediately it had curled toes on both feet and couldn't stand up. I made cardboard shoes for both feet, and hobbles. After a couple of hours, it was getting around, although not very well. Here's a timeline of it's improvement:

Day 1: Chick wearing 2 cardboard shoes and hobbles. Getting around brooder some, but falling over and getting stuck a LOT.
Day 2: Total improvement in left leg. Removed shoe on that foot. Chick eating and drinking, significantly less clumsy. Holding up right leg. Noticed swelling in joint and suspected slipped tendon. Splinted right leg.
Day 3: Left leg is strong. Removed hobbles. Chick balances better without.
Day 4: Removed right cardboard shoe, leaving only the splint. All toes are straight.
Day 5 (today): Chick is getting around really well, and actually bullying the other chick a little bit. Still won't put pressure on right foot. Joint still slightly swollen.

Despite all the reading I've done and videos I've watched, I still can't actually visually tell that the tendon is slipped, and I have no idea if it's back in place when I wrap the leg. I just gently pull the leg back (like a chick does when it's stretching), and kind of massage the knee joint until the leg straightens, then I wrap it to hold it in place. I unwrap it to check twice a day, and it always looks exactly the same. I can't seem to find many cases where a chick has fully recovered from this, but there are more cases where the chick grows up to live happily on one leg. I'm just wondering at what point do I give up on wrapping the leg? My other concern is that even though I see it eating and drinking all the time, it's growing a lot slower than the other healthy chick.

My chick also sleeps on it's side. I think it has to because of the splint. Sometimes it follows the other chick around and places it's tiny little wing on the other chick's back for balance. It's sad, but adorable. Overall though, it seems happy. It hops around on one leg, chirping all day, and scratching in the bedding.

Here's hoping both our chicks continue to improve!
D.gif

I'd also like to add, I'm going to be pretty annoyed if I went to all this trouble to save a rooster.
big_smile.png

Oh how many times have thought in the past!
gig.gif
Mine is an absolute gorgeous lavender silkie, so boy or girl, I want it.... Our stories are very alike! She (I can't bring myself to call it a "he) is getting along better this a.m. too. It is eating and hobbling along. I read last night that with a slipped tendon, they won't put weight on it, but that may not be for newly hatched? The more I read the more I find there just isn't a lot out there. I definitely feel the tendon move into place - but it is on the inside of his "knee", not the outside as I would suspect. I agree, I can't tell if it stays put when I wrap it. Her rubber band came off for a few minutes yesterday, and I watched it, and it was definitely walking better and leg was in a better position, so I want to keep going. I read 6 days for splayed legs, so I will give it that long, and as long as it is not in pain and improving. Amazing how much of our day is suddenly dedicated to these little peeps. I hatched silkie eggs from Catdance (she is a breeder in Washington and very known among the silkie peeps on here)....with shipped eggs you hope for a 50% hatch rate...so I bought 24 eggs, hoping a dozen make it to lockdown, and 6 hatch. Well, 18 made it to lockdown and 18 hatched! They are absolutely beautiful and I am thrilled, but overwhelmed that I just doubled the size of my entire flock!!! I am like "when am I going to have time to build a barn, and where am I going to put it?"
barnie.gif

Oh how many times have thought in the past!
gig.gif
Mine is an absolute gorgeous lavender silkie, so boy or girl, I want it.... Our stories are very alike! She (I can't bring myself to call it a "he) is getting along better this a.m. too. It is eating and hobbling along. I read last night that with a slipped tendon, they won't put weight on it, but that may not be for newly hatched? The more I read the more I find there just isn't a lot out there. I definitely feel the tendon move into place - but it is on the inside of his "knee", not the outside as I would suspect. I agree, I can't tell if it stays put when I wrap it. Her rubber band came off for a few minutes yesterday, and I watched it, and it was definitely walking better and leg was in a better position, so I want to keep going. I read 6 days for splayed legs, so I will give it that long, and as long as it is not in pain and improving. Amazing how much of our day is suddenly dedicated to these little peeps. I hatched silkie eggs from Catdance (she is a breeder in Washington and very known among the silkie peeps on here)....with shipped eggs you hope for a 50% hatch rate...so I bought 24 eggs, hoping a dozen make it to lockdown, and 6 hatch. Well, 18 made it to lockdown and 18 hatched! They are absolutely beautiful and I am thrilled, but overwhelmed that I just doubled the size of my entire flock!!! I am like "when am I going to have time to build a barn, and where am I going to put it?"
barnie.gif

Mine is a little EE. It was from a hatch I sold. I wasn't planning to keep any of the chicks. I hadn't prepared myself for what I would do with an injured chick. So I kept another chick to keep the hobbled one company. Anyway, they sure are cute.

What a great hatch rate on shipped eggs! I just set 36 shipped eggs yesterday. I hope I'm as lucky as you. I always sell extras when I have a super successful hatch. There's always a demand for chicks around here.

So the tendon is on the inside?...like the front of the leg? I'm so confused about what I'm looking for. I've seen where other folks use a "chick chair" to keep pressure off the leg, but I'm unsure. I feel like it might be better for the chick to develop plenty on strength on the other leg. Plus I'd be worried about it getting enough to eat and drink. I have a job. I can't be a 24 hour chicken nurse...as much as I'd like to be.

I am letting mine walk around - it seems to be happy to be in the crowd, and even happier to lean against someone! Today it had it's butt against the food dish! I don' t think it is in pain, and I think working the leg as much as possible is good. Sports medicine right?

As far as the tendon - if you hold the chick with the butt toward you , extend the leg back in a good Tai Chi position
smile.png
... the tendon seems to be on the body side .... I am not sure where a chicken "knee" is...but it is the last joint before the ankle/feet.

I am going to unwrap and check tonight - and then rewrap. I just know how fast these buggars grow, and I don't want it to be too tight. I am giving in Poly V Sol vitamins - just in the water. I figured it can't hurt everyone to be getting it!

I am keeping all of these guys, and when I can sort out who is who and what is what, I may sell off extra roo's. They will sell as they are such wonderful show bird stock. We don't see that around here - mostly hatchery birds. My hope is in a year I can breed and sell chicks from them. With the parents on the premises, I think I will have no problem selling chicks.

The eggs in your avatar are gorgeous! I love those colors!

Becky

Back
Top Bottom