Sloped floor for eggs to roll out

I'm planning on building a quail pen with sloped floor for eggs to roll out. The floor will be 1/2 inch hardware cloth. For those who have such a set up, can you please tell me how it works out for you? How much slope is needed?

I did some experiment tonight, with 1/4 inch cloth (just what I have right now). I tried up to 10% slope and the egg still won't roll out completely. It would roll initially side way until the large end pointed downward and the egg stopped rolling. So I figure the only way for this to work is if the birds walk back and forth and keep kicking the eggs randomly, causing them to keep rolling to the edge.

Please help with your insight. I hate to design and build something that won't work and hard to change once it's built. I'd rather not having to open the pen to collect eggs everyday. The doors need to be well secured against predator (coons) and thus won't be fast and convenient for me to open every day.
I've raised quail in high volume for many years. I've experimented with about every design and combination you could think of. A few things a beginner needs to know, saving time money and grief in the future. First, for your floor, no hardware cloth. It's hard on thier feet, it sags from bird weight rapidly. It doesn't pass adult birds poop easily, and it will rust out in 2-3 years. Use 1/2 x 1 welded wire. Second, do not construct your cages taller than 12". Quail fly up when spooked. Anything higher allows thier upward momentum to cause them to break their neck or damage their head. Remember, the more wood you use, causes area for bacteria to breed. Completely cleaning is impossible. Looks nice to you, not good for your birds. Hope this helps to save you grief in the future.

I've raised quail in high volume for many years. I've experimented with about every design and combination you could think of. A few things a beginner needs to know, saving time money and grief in the future. First, for your floor, no hardware cloth. It's hard on thier feet, it sags from bird weight rapidly. It doesn't pass adult birds poop easily, and it will rust out in 2-3 years. Use 1/2 x 1 welded wire. Second, do not construct your cages taller than 12". Quail fly up when spooked. Anything higher allows thier upward momentum to cause them to break their neck or damage their head. Remember, the more wood you use, causes area for bacteria to breed. Completely cleaning is impossible. Looks nice to you, not good for your birds. Hope this helps to save you grief in the future.
Just a note, but this thread is nine years old, and the person you're replying to hasn't logged in since 2015. You're probably not going to get a reply.

1703081544105.png

Back
Top Bottom