sluggish economy, christmas around the corner, but thankful

nop169

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
I have been feeling anxious verging on depression over the still sluggish economy & the holidays fast approaching. My wife & I both work 60 hours per week but the money goes nowhere & we have not had any extra money in savings for 2 years now. Christmas is coming & I have no extra income for gifts for DW or my DD. The stress of it all takes its toll..... but I just wanted to express that regardless of it all - I am still so very blessed. I thank God that we are healthy. I thank God that although we have no extra money - we also haven't gotten behind and although we now live & pay bills week to week - at least He supplies our needs. We have retained our home, farm & Christian schooling for our daughter. The dogs, horses & chickens are all fed. My small business is still afloat - barely - but at least the bills are paid somewhat on time. I worry about whether the local economy will ever recover - but I should be more thankful that even though we are not ahead financially - we are not behind.
The stress of the last couple of years has been great but I came home last night & REALLY looked around at my home & family & although I wish I could do more for my DD & DW - in reality we are so blessed already. We DO live simply & frugally - no satellite tv, no recreational activities outside the farm, no new clothes or cars or any of that stuff.... but we DO have a nice home, a small farm, a beautiful & healthy wife & daughter & are able to provide a safe, conservative education for DD.... when I take the time to stop & look & think about it all I cannot deny that God has blessed our hard work & gave us even more than we deserve.
I just wanted to encourage you all as we all live through these uncertain times of a fragile economy, no jobs & increasing stress to simply STOP, take a breath & really SEE what you have. I know it is not what we are accustomed to - I realize that just working hard, living frugally and prioritizing the important things no longer guarentees that our dreams are fullfilled and that this realization in itself is depressing. I realize that many of you - like me - feel overwhelmed at times, that we are caught in a cycle that was not of our own making - that we, at least, have lived simple, frugal lives & that the basics that we have no control over are now taking all we can make - things such as health insurance, taxes, power & groceries - have increased in these trying times & you like me are afraid Not to have some of these basic assurances. Even more frustrating & depressing is the number of people who no longer have character, honor or integrity. BUT REGARDLESS OF ALL OF THIS ..... I am so thankfull that even though I make mistakes, wrong choices & allow all of this to take its toll on my mental outlook, that God reminds me of all of the blessings in my life.

As the holiday season approaches - look around - see those whom you care for & recognize that which you have. Focus on what is really there rather than on what you cannot do or supply this year & be at peace. I hope you all do not battle with these things as I do & I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season. That God will bless each of you, will cup His hands around you & will give you peace.

I am in the same position except my stupid water well broke and dont have the money to fix it.(working on that problem) and also no money for christmas for my 2 daughters at home. but I know how blessed I am and am greatful for the many blessings bestowed on my family this year. I try to look on the bright side. and for most days I am ok. but there are days that i get so depressed.but then I look at my kids and grandbaby and my faith and i know its all gonna be ok

I feel the same way you do. We do without a lot of things to have money for the things we have. BUT we are blessed with good health and a happy child and a great marriage. We have many more things than our parents do at their age, but it all came from my husband working hard and being away from our family at times I really wish he was home. I think about the times he was laid off and we couldn't afford to buy a gallon of milk AND a loaf of bread at the same time and I am just thankful he has a job to go to. I think about the people who will be cold or hungry or alone this Christmas and pray they had the things they needed that we all take for granted. We have cut WAY back this year on Christmas gifts. There's no sense in going broke for something that will not be used in two months time, or forgotten about. We need to celebrate the reason for the season because HE is the only reason we have what we do have. Merry CHRISTmas.

Many people have lived above their means for years. The economy has finally forced us to look at how we spend our money and time and reevaluate. I have driven new cars, had cable channels galore, out to eat numerous times a week, shopped till I dropped, call waiting, call forwarding, call back....I personally have been forced to stop and reevaluate how I have recklessly spent money in the past. People if you go to Target you WILL find something to spend your money on! Solution don't go unless it is for groceries. I have more clothes, sheets, towels, shoes, and stuff then I could possibly wear out. What finally made be realize I had to change my spending habits is when I was faced with having to put two girls thru college AT THE SAME TIME! Being a single Mom for 14 years (ex husband paid nothing) it took all I had to live week to week so savings accounts were things "other people" had. I had never gone to college and both my girls wanted to go. So I decided college was more important then "stuff" and started changing my spending habits. I do not go in a store unless I absolutely have to, my phone does nothing but ring now as I stopped all the "extra features", cable channels are at a minimum. The newest car in my house is 8 years old. And of course since both my girls are in college, we do have three cars. The girls both work and pay for their own gas/vehicle maintenance/social outings/clothes/ cell phones/car insurance. I pay for college and everything else. My girls did learn early on that nothing is free and you have to work hard for what you have. I have taught them to work towards financial responsibility and they BOTH have savings accounts at the ages of 18 and 20! Sure the economy is really tough, a lot of people out of work, out of a home, but we can reach out to others less fortunate and help... I have tried to help people in many small ways along the way and you know what I have no doubt that I AM the one that comes away from those experiences feeling truly blessed. If you remember nothing else remember this... " But remember that what you now have was once among the things only hoped for"... Amen and Amen.

Last edited:
As a family--including extended family--we decided to make Christmas pretty lean this year. We got DD a few toys and books but nothing big or expensive. Mom is getting DH and I gift certs. to TSC. Most of my gifts to people are going to be in the form of home-canned goods, goat milk soap I bought from RockyTogg on here, soy candles made locally and local maple syrup. My out of town relatives especially like the latter. Uncle from KY says that a few places there tap maples, but don't get enough to sell, just enough for their own use.

My father is in danger of losing his job (he makes 6 figures a year and is a physician but his job is in danger of being eliminated), my mother's dog is ill, DH has medical bills, I have unemployment to pay back (long story), Aunt got a divorce, brother and his wife just bought a house so none of us have much money.

My small business is still afloat - barely - but at least the bills are paid somewhat on time.

I am in the same boat, but it could be a lot worse. Your attitude is awesome
big_smile.png

I agree with your post. I am grateful we are able to pay our bills and still have our home. I am grateful dh's diabetes has not gotten worse,although I do pray for better health for him! We will not be able to get more than one present for the kids,but I am sure they will care so little about that because dad will be home,and grandma will vist,and we will be happy to have some time together finally.

Back
Top Bottom